You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Adobe asks for your vote!
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
kaymio Dec 11, 2018
Michael Larabel from Phoronix got a hint from a user that the ‘Adobe Customer Care’ asks for your vote whether the market for Adobe Products on Linux is big enough for them to invest in it.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Adobe-Care-Linux-Demand-Vote

If the Linux Desktop is ever to succeed in the big market place we need Adobe Software available on Linux. Hopefully as a flatpak.

Go vote!

EDIT: Updated link - https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36255037-linux-support
wvstolzing Dec 11, 2018
To be clear, though, this isn't a new survey that Adobe is conducting, in order to test the waters. The 'feature request' poll has existed for a long time; what's new is that recently a user asked customer service about Linux support, to which the reply was something like "we don't have the resources, but do keep voting on the feature request". Apparently the poll option already has a hefty number of votes, but there's no telling how much will be enough to get Adobe to do anything; so it's pretty meaningless.
kaymio Dec 11, 2018
Yes, I know, but it is another glimmer of hope to help the Linux Desktop succeed. The vote doubbled within the last 24 hours. If we don't show support for proprietary software (like games) under linux, the normis will never think about switching.
wvstolzing Dec 11, 2018
-- fair enough; though in Adobe's case, I think we have to keep in mind exactly who the relevant audience is. When they went subscription only, they intentionally shut off the general public/hobbyists. It used to be that a talentless hack like me could get a CS license, and toy around with it occasionally, and not even think of upgrading in two decades. (For the types of things that I do on Photoshop or Illustrator, the early releases back on the 68000 Macs would suffice, honestly; though I do use InDesign and Acrobat a bit more seriously, and keep a Windows VM just for those.) For that kind of person, the monthly fees aren't justifiable. For the pros, though, the subscription model does have its financial advantages (and that's how Adobe was able to get away with that awful practice in the first place). So -- today's CS user is almost exclusively a professional; tied in various ways to the Apple or Windows ecosystems. A gamer can switch to Linux if his favorite titles are available on Linux; for the pros, though, several further factors need to be taken into consideration. I just think that having a certain number of people show enthusiasm for Adobe on Linux isn't enough to trigger substantial change.
riusma Dec 11, 2018
I've nothing against Adobe and their Creative Suit but please note that they are not needed to work professionally on Linux as a graphic artist (or other related fields, aside perhaps for very specific needs). :)
Salvatos Dec 11, 2018
That feature request has now been removed from Adobe's site :P

From the comments on Phoronix:
"Looks like they may have removed the request. It went from under 1.5k votes and ~400 comments yesterday to over 3.6k votes and over 1.7k comments on it before it disappeared. Going to the link now brings you back to the general feedback page for Premier."
kaymio Dec 11, 2018
Yes, I saw it vanish about an hour ago. Here is a new support ticket on their page which asks for linux support.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36255037-linux-support

Go vote!
stretch611 Dec 11, 2018
Personally, I think linux is fine without Adobe products. In fact, IMO, we are better off without Adobe.

Flash is already dead. I do not remember the last time I actually used it, even in a browser. If I ever do need it, I would more than likely use chrome which has its own version of flash.

I still have it installed on my computer, unfortunately, flash is in a meta-package on linuxmint along with mp3 codecs as well as other video/audio codecs. Ofc, the only one that ever seems to update due to bugs/security flaws is flash. (I suppose I can uninstall the whole package than reinstall all the packages I do want, but I'm lazy.)

As for Adobe Reader, again I never use it. There are plenty of alternatives.

I used to have a license to the old Creative Suite/Dreamweaver a little over 10 years ago, back when my employer (at the time) paid for it. I was able to get it working with WINE and it only crashed slightly more times than the Windows version crashed. (Dreamweaver was the main piece I used... about 95% of the time.) Of course this was before the subscription based model, and I found many other things that I like better. I have not used any part of the entire suite since 2008 or 2009 at the absolute latest and I do not miss it at all.

I am a developer and I have done extensive work with Coldfusion(CF). (Coldfusion was acquired, along with Flash, when Adobe bought Macromedia back in 2005.) While CF dates back to the early web of the 90's, it was always the red-headed stepchild of development languages. It was quite powerful, but never had the "cool" factor of newer languages... and that was before it was ever acquired by Adobe. I have updated multiple servers from one version of CF to newer versions. There were a few hiccups going to CF 7, it was relatively painless going to CF 8 and CF 9, but then adobe started outsourcing CF Server development and upgrading to CF 10, 11, and 12 got progressively worse. I personally knew people that were well known advocates of CF souring on it and Adobe. Some that tested preview beta builds were sued with NDAs because they discussed upgrade bugs that were reported and never fixed. Where I used to enjoy the language, I now recommend anyone using it to replace it, and those looking for a new development project to never even look it at it.

While I can not talk about Creative Suite, I look at the main Adobe software and consider it nothing more than a bunch of security holes creating a never ending list of problems needing to be fixed.

I know this post is quite negative... but it is my professional experience in software and all my first hand account. That is why I think we are better off without Adobe.
stretch611 Dec 12, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: stretch611Personally, I think linux is fine without Adobe products. In fact, IMO, we are better off without Adobe.
I disagree.
Industry standard software is the most important thing for any OS. The likes of Photoshop, After effects and Dreamweaver will push the Linux desktop into mainstream much more than any game ever could.
You can disagree with me, and I surely disagree with you.

Standard software is not important at all. Standard file formats are very important though.

By your reasoning, there would not be anyone at all on linux until linux has Microsoft Office... far more standard of a software product than anything that Adobe has at all.

One of the big reasons why people were able to break free from MS Office was due to OpenOffice, and later LibreOffice. In a similar vein, if you do not want to be forced into Photoshop, you can always use GIMP. It is just as powerful even if it does not have every exact bell and whistle as photoshop, or the same glossy UI. The same was true of OpenOffice back when people started using it and realizing that the extreme cost of MS Office was not worth the few functions it had that OpenOffice didn't. Especially when very few people know those functions exist, let alone use them.

As for Dreamweaver, I did not stop using it because of linux, I stopped using Dreamweaver because I found other things that were much better. I actually started using Eclipse, and later, I dumped Eclipse for SublimeText which I found to be better than that. Even if I was still on windows, I would probably be using SublimeText today as the people that introduced me to it used windows. As for Eclipse, the office I was working in at the time migrated to it as a whole, because the cost of using Dreamweaver was not justified... and that office was on windows, not linux. (Both Eclipse and SublimeText are available on Linux, Mac, and Windows.)

Application software will not bring people to linux... Only the OS as a whole can do that.

I have mentioned on this site before, while this is a gaming site for linux, no one in their right mind came to linux for gaming. We all came here because something else about the OS brought us here and we game on linux because we do not want to switch back.

Having Adobe products on linux will not make people want to use linux any more than they do today. Especially because Adobe will most likely continue to treat linux as a 3rd class OS in the sense that Windows/Mac will always be the first place to update and push bug fixes, and we will hopefully get later on linux once the limited resources they spend on our OS gets around to it. Just like in gaming, we do not always get the releases day one, and we do not always get the patches at the same time either. If gaming is your only reason to be using linux, you would be on windows... If Adobe products are your reason to be on linux, again, you would be using windows. Adobe has always been delayed with releasing/fixing software on linux in the past, there is no reason to think that this would change.

How do we get to be the most popular OS? Simple, be the best OS... and while it is a slow process, people will come to linux.

About 10 years ago, on public web servers, Linux had roughly 45% share, Windows about 45-50% share, with the rest being other types of UNIX/BSD. Since then, we have trounced Windows. We have anywhere between 66 and 97% webserver market share (though the last time I researched it, 80% seemed most likely on public webservers.)

We did not capture that much market share because of IIS and/or SQL Server being on linux. However, because of those numbers, Microsoft is seeing a hard time ahead for its server products. Due to the popularity of linux on webserver, SQL Server has been ported to linux. After all, if the trend continues, they will not be able to sell much of their flagship database if they didn't port it to linux.

But webservers are not desktops... but desktops are not the whole market. There are some interesting tidbits in that article, even though some of the stats are dated a year or so...
The most popular web client OS... Android - 41%
The most popular Super Computer OS... Linux - 99.6% (historically) 100% of the current top 500.

What I found most interesting was this:
QuoteThe 2018 Stack Overflow developer survey provides no detail about particular versions of Windows. The desktop operating system share among those identifying as Professional Developers was:

Windows: 49.4%
MacOS: 27.4%
Linux: 23.0%
BSD/Unix: 0.2%

Developers are on the front edge of the switch to linux. So much that Microsoft has even ported MS Visual Studio (a developer product) for linux. Microsoft is not doing this out of benevolence to people using linux. They are doing it to stay relevant in the future.

While graphic designers use a lot of Adobe products (and a bunch of Macs as well), developers use some of Adobe products as well. Just like Microsoft, Adobe will be forced to consider linux in order to stay relevant. If not, they will see the market share of their products be lost as linux grows without them.

TL/DR: Photoshop and Dreamweaver are not required in order for people to switch to linux... but a linux version may be required if they plan on keeping those software products viable in the long term. GIMP is always an alternative, and there are a ton of better code development tools already on linux that are far better than Dreamweaver.
Xpander Dec 12, 2018
There are always some people who say we don't need this shit to our platform. But we do need. There are many people who'd like to switch without giving up their workflow and adobe products are one of those reasons.
riusma Dec 12, 2018
Quoting: XpanderThere are always some people who say we don't need this shit to our platform. But we do need. There are many people who'd like to switch without giving up their workflow and adobe products are one of those reasons.

If you think that graphic designers coming from Windows or Mac will not switch to Linux because they don't want to give up their workflow on those OS, I have to inform you that Adobe Creative Suit coming to Linux will not be enough for them as they will need proprietary software shipped with their display calibration and characterization instruments (graphical creation workflow is more than just a "Creative Suit", you also need some specific hardware and other software supported by your OS of choice). :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.