Adobe asks for your vote!
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Xpander Dec 12, 2018
Quoting: riusma
Quoting: XpanderThere are always some people who say we don't need this shit to our platform. But we do need. There are many people who'd like to switch without giving up their workflow and adobe products are one of those reasons.

If you think that graphic designers coming from Windows or Mac will not switch to Linux because they don't want to give up their workflow on those OS, I have to inform you that Adobe Creative Suit coming to Linux will not be enough for them as they will need proprietary software shipped with their display calibration and characterization instruments (graphical creation workflow is more than just a "Creative Suit", you also need some specific hardware and other software supported by your OS of choice). :)

Where did i say that? I'm talking about more regular users. semi-professional users. Content creators. Or however you call them. Specially video editors. There just are no tools on Linux that work well. Kdenlive can get the job done, but its slow and has many issues. Davinci Resolve is pretty fast, but missing codec support, cant import many general video formats into your projects. LightWorks has its own limitations and costs quite a bit.
kaymio Dec 12, 2018
Quotegraphical creation workflow is more than just a "Creative Suit", you also need some specific hardware and other software supported by your OS of choice. :)

Personally I don't do any 'creative' work so I'm not sure about the hardware requirements.
My Eizo works just fine under GNU/Linux and can be calibrated with https://displaycal.net/
riusma Dec 12, 2018
Quoting: XpanderI'm talking about more regular users. semi-professional users.

Semi-professional users generally don't buy Adobe Creative Suite and use "old" pirated versions (and I know some professionals that use pirated version too), so they don't represent that a great commercial interest for Adobe (aside from maintaining the "illusion" that there is no alternative to Adobe products because everyone use them, learn on them and is accustomed to "their way of doing things"). :)

Quoting: kaymioPersonally I don't do any 'creative' work so I'm not sure about the hardware requirements.
My Eizo works just fine under GNU/Linux and can be calibrated with https://displaycal.net/

My Eizo display and my i1 Display Pro work also just fine with DisplayCal too, and I only use FOSS software for my professional work (Krita, the GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus are good enough). :) My point is only that if you are accustom to a specific workflow with full proprietary software you will not switch to Linux just because Adobe Creative Suite is available on that OS, it's more complex than that (and resilience to change is strong, which is true even in Linux community). :)

Don't get me wrong, I will be happy if Adobe decide to port their Creative Suite on Linux (it would be a major change in paradigm) even if I don't use it and don't intend to use it in the future, it's just that it is not a requirement for professional creative work on Linux (and supporting financially FOSS projects seems better to me than giving money to Adobe). :)
kaymio Dec 12, 2018
Well, well, well they seem to not completely ignore us!

The second ticket got merged with the first, reopened one.

The reason that the first one got 'deleted' was their spam filter.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/12/11/want-adobe-premiere-pro-ported-to-linux-heres-what-to-do/#68951802791e
kaymio Dec 12, 2018
The principal product manager commented on the vote!

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36257581-yes-please-support-linux-this-would-be-a-huge-m

QuoteIn a nutshell: this isn’t a simple thing to do – but we’re gonna take another hard look as to what’s the demand as I already mentioned above.
stretch611 Dec 12, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: stretch611You can disagree with me, and I surely disagree with you.
Disagreement is always a good thing, There wouldn't be a discussion without it. ^_^
This we can agree on :)
As long as it stays civil, there is no problem at all with disagreements. (and nothing I see in this thread suggests otherwise)
stretch611 Dec 13, 2018
Quoting: riusmaMy Eizo display and my i1 Display Pro work also just fine with DisplayCal too, and I only use FOSS software for my professional work (Krita, the GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus are good enough). :) My point is only that if you are accustom to a specific workflow with full proprietary software you will not switch to Linux just because Adobe Creative Suite is available on that OS, it's more complex than that (and resilience to change is strong, which is true even in Linux community). :)

I totally agree with this. If you are only willing to use one software package and are unwilling to try another, what makes people think they are willing to change OS's?

While I expect the majority of people on this website to be familiar with the process of installing linux, the average computer user is scared by the process and afraid of the whole thing especially with the warnings of backing up your data in order to avoid loss. (Heck, some people are so clueless that when mentioning linux you might actually get responses like "that replaces the blue 'e' on the desktop to get to the internet, right???")

Once a person decides to change to linux, the first question to ask is which distro to choose. If you are helping them, you can probably go through a few choices and let them decide in 30 minutes, but how long will it take for them to realize they even need to make that choice if they think they just need to download "linux" and install if they are changing OSs without help from someone who has done it before. (A technical user, probably not too long, but the average user will probably take a while if they do not give up immediately.)

After they choose a distro, they will need to choose a desktop... but at least here, the distro will have a default option for them to take and avoid a huge decision. There is still a slight learning curve on the desktop environment UI depending on what they are currently used to and what DE they choose. (This is also where the point of if they are unwilling to try a different software package, what makes you think they are willing to change the OS comes into play.)

Another point I would like to make is above it was mentioned that people have a tendency to pirate Photoshop if they don't want to pay for it. Sadly this includes both designers and developers that end up working to sell software; and these are people that want to be paid for their work. And there are options that are available like GIMP that are free, that even have windows versions. If given a bare bones computer (without an OS) or if they build their own, these same people generally will pirate windows instead of using a free option like linux. These are not people willing to learn a different way and try linux... or GIMP, Eclipse, or SublimeText(not free).

Simply put, if all the existing windows software was available tomorrow on linux, most people would still be unwilling to change. We would get a few converts, but not the masses. (i.e. if PUBG and all the Triple-A titles were available tomorrow on linux, we still wouldn't be overtaking windows in gaming anytime soon.) As much as I enjoy linux and wish this wasn't the case, it is true.
kaymio Dec 14, 2018
6000 votes, quadrupled within 72h
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.