Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Testing new Mesa ACO shader compiler for AMD
Page: «5/11»
  Go to:
sr_ls_boy Jul 5, 2019
I managed to get Outlast 2 to work with vanilla wine without using the staging patches.

+
EDIT: Far Cry 4 is another title that can no longer work if the staging patches are
applied.
sr_ls_boy Jul 6, 2019
I just tried Mad Max with the backend branch/commit d271fd and it worked.
medicalcannabis Jul 6, 2019
This was trivial to set up in Gentoo. I took the existing mesa-9999 ebuild, copied it to mesa-9999-r1.ebuild and changed the git address in the file to point at ACO's repo. Once I recompiled (and keyworded llvm/clang v8 to ~amd64), everything worked.

On AMD Raven Ridge hardware (Ryzen 5 2400G), this has been a night-and-day difference. Games like No Man's Sky (beta Vulkan renderer) would crash after loading all shaders due to the lag required to build motion blur on the fly. This not only solved that issue, but I'm able to do 30fps with all settings maxed, when before it was a complete slideshow. On emulators such as Cemu and Dolphin, shaders are compiling fast enough that I don't even have to run through each Mario Kart 8 level once to build a sufficient shader cache.
dubigrasu Jul 7, 2019
Shadow of the Tomb Raider tested with Proton, Highest settings:

Average FPS:
LLVM = 50.1
ACO = 52.8

Not that much of a difference in terms of average FPS, but the ACO frametimes still look better:

Koopacabras Jul 8, 2019
woww someone just deleted my build on Opensuse Build Service, with no advice no email, nothing. I think that OBS devs don't like out of tree packages.
sr_ls_boy Jul 10, 2019
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: sr_ls_boyI just tried Mad Max with the backend branch/commit d271fd and it worked.

Still not working for me, I am running the vulkan beta tho of it, dunno theorethically it should work.

I've should have thought of that. I'll try it out. I was indeed using the games default opengl renderer.
gort818 Jul 10, 2019
Star Citizen gives me a gpu hang on my vega 56, I created an issue for it https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa/issues/70
Shmerl Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: GuestSo I tried compiling Mesa myself for the first time. Before I used the ppa referenced in the news article on GoL. I used your script @Shmerl but that did not work. I built the newest version of meson 0.51 but it kept looping endlessly on regenerating build files. Then I figured it is due to the compiler option meson --native-files and I deleted that. After that everything compiled and I tried launching vulkaninfo and games with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and VK_ICD_FILENAMES referenced to the build but all die saying bad driver.
What am I missing?

It's actually a bug in Meson 0.51.1. See: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/5505

It's fixed in Meson master, but 0.51.1 is broken with temporary native config files the way I was using it.
Linuxwarper Jul 13, 2019
As part of testing the ACO shader compiler from Valve, I'm going to benchmark games prior to adding the Ubuntu PPA. But Talos Principle frustrates me a great deal. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to toggle Vulkan on in the game? I've followed instructions, carefully I'd say, from a pinned thread on game's official discussion forum on Steam. The results end up with 86 FPS for OpenGL and about 75 for Vulkan. I could not find a way to verify Vulkan was running through game settings (or be able to toggle between two APIs). All I could do was search for Vulkan in games Talo.ini file, which includes a vulkan variable when you follow the instructions I mentioned. But 75 for Vulkan and 86 for OpenGL - what's going on??
Shmerl Jul 14, 2019
Quoting: Guestthx good to know !

Updated my script with workaround for Meson bug, and it can now also handle customizing Mesa repo to build both regular Mesa and Mesa-aco using the same script. See example in the inline documentation.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.