Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Star Citizen in Wine
Shmerl commented on 21 July 2019 at 4:40 am UTC

I decided to give Star Citizen a test run, since now it's not crashing in Mesa-aco.

It's quite demanding. No idea how to open the locker in the station room where my character woke up Interaction mode (F) doesn't show any actions for it. From video tutorials, weren't you supposed to get a space suit before heading outside?

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2019 at 5:07 am UTC

Looks like spacesuit is already equipped by default.

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2019 at 6:03 am UTC

Hm, looks like the only way to mine anything, is to make enough money on contracts and buy a Prospector ship.

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2019 at 6:24 am UTC

Heh, I exited the game while being in space, and when restarted, ended up on the station, while the ship remained in space. Rather strange, and I had to "claim" the ship back through insurance.

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2019 at 7:03 am UTC

Same thing happens on disconnects.

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2019 at 9:01 am UTC

Quite buggy overall. During quantum drive operation it often hangs, while sound continues working. So it has to be force exited. And it's annoying that after each such hang, you need to restart from the station, and wait five minutes for recovery of the ship.

Shmerl commented on 21 July 2019 at 7:11 pm UTC

Getting to Daymar seems impossible. It always crashes somewhere in mid flight

entropie commented on 22 July 2019 at 5:58 am UTC

I think you got the max memory cap error. SC will crash, when the Ubuntu default value got overrun. On Ubuntu you have to issue in CLI once:

sudo sysctl -w vm.max_map_count=655300

The value will remain after reboots then. Could be a different command on debian, I am sadly not versed with the distro, but you may be will know.

This crash is mesa unrelated and just happens for all Linux users, if not adressed. Took me a week to find that out, before I wasnt able to ever leave Hurston .

The game itself is still heavy Alpha and you will have lots of bugs. But you normally get used to the bugs and can play around it. You will always respawn on the last station you visited and the only respawn locations are: Area 18, Lorville, Port Olisar, Grim Hex and Levski. So if you die somewhere, your ship will stay there and you respawn on your old station. You can buy suits, armor and weapons but they are all optional, upon waking up in the game you are set to go.

On the rsi website you can join corporations, plase apply for the LUG, Linux User Group they have a channel and can help you quickly. Or ask here, if you need assistance .
Welcome to the verse !

Shmerl commented on 22 July 2019 at 6:02 am UTC

Hm, looks like my current value for vm.max_map_count is 65530

cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count

Never had such kind of issues with Wine. Is that something specific to Cry Engine?

entropie commented on 22 July 2019 at 6:26 am UTC

ShmerlHm, looks like my current value for vm.max_map_count is 65530

cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count

Never had such kind of issues with Wine. Is that something specific to Cry Engine?

Yes its absolutely game specific, I never encountered that issue before. Windows peeps have to increase their pagefile size too, so the game properly runs. So I suspect this mostly applies to people using 8 GB of RAM and the game definitly needs 10 - 12 Gb.
The description on the issue is that for nearly all programs the normal value suffices, except for some that use a lot of malloc debuggers or load a lot of shared libraries.
My best guess here is that since the game is in Alpha version they are using a lot of malloc debugging of the memory to have the game running stable. In the early days of SC the game kept crashing over and over and nowadays you will see it glitching but then reverting back to the moment before the glitch. SO that looks like if a lot of correction is running in the background.

Shmerl commented on 22 July 2019 at 6:52 am UTC

I get this distortion in the HUD, since it's probably not handling 16:10 aspect ratio properly. Basically some elements of the HUD are outside the screen. Is there any fix for it?

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Tac Tics: „SteamWorld Heist“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts