Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Star Citizen in Wine
Page: 1/5»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jul 21, 2019
I decided to give Star Citizen a test run, since now it's not crashing in Mesa-aco.

It's quite demanding. No idea how to open the locker in the station room where my character woke up :) Interaction mode (F) doesn't show any actions for it. From video tutorials, weren't you supposed to get a space suit before heading outside?

Shmerl Jul 21, 2019
Looks like spacesuit is already equipped by default.
Shmerl Jul 21, 2019
Hm, looks like the only way to mine anything, is to make enough money on contracts and buy a Prospector ship.
Shmerl Jul 21, 2019
Heh, I exited the game while being in space, and when restarted, ended up on the station, while the ship remained in space. Rather strange, and I had to "claim" the ship back through insurance.
Shmerl Jul 21, 2019
Same thing happens on disconnects.
Shmerl Jul 21, 2019
Quite buggy overall. During quantum drive operation it often hangs, while sound continues working. So it has to be force exited. And it's annoying that after each such hang, you need to restart from the station, and wait five minutes for recovery of the ship.
Shmerl Jul 21, 2019
Getting to Daymar seems impossible. It always crashes somewhere in mid flight :)
Shmerl Jul 22, 2019
Hm, looks like my current value for vm.max_map_count is 65530

cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count

Never had such kind of issues with Wine. Is that something specific to Cry Engine?
Shmerl Jul 22, 2019
I get this distortion in the HUD, since it's probably not handling 16:10 aspect ratio properly. Basically some elements of the HUD are outside the screen. Is there any fix for it?
Shmerl Jul 23, 2019
After setting that max_map_count workaround - it runs quite smoothly with Mesa aco! I managed to land on Daymar and visit some hydroponics station. Looks like no one is around, not sure what to do there. Interesting to explore though :)
Valck Jul 23, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlHm, looks like my current value for vm.max_map_count is 65530

cat /proc/sys/vm/max_map_count

Never had such kind of issues with Wine. Is that something specific to Cry Engine?
Looks like a case of "64k ought to be enough for anyone"...

From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
Quotemax_map_count:

This file contains the maximum number of memory map areas a process
may have. Memory map areas are used as a side-effect of calling
malloc, directly by mmap, mprotect, and madvise, and also when loading
shared libraries.

While most applications need less than a thousand maps, certain
programs, particularly malloc debuggers, may consume lots of them,
e.g., up to one or two maps per allocation.

The default value is 65536

PS.: BTW, it's 65530 on my system as well, so "the default" seems to be more of a... guideline
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.