Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
sr_ls_boy Aug 8, 2019
So, RADV is out and AMDVLK is in? Can
RADV ever catch up with performance?
tuubi Aug 8, 2019
Quoting: mylkaalso the linux version wont have some of this options, because feral only has a dx11-> vulkan layer. so no dx12 features for linux
Are you sure they're not taking this long because they're building their Vulkan stuff on top of the DX12 backend instead? Probably not, but that would be interesting.
mylka Aug 8, 2019
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: mylkaalso the linux version wont have some of this options, because feral only has a dx11-> vulkan layer. so no dx12 features for linux
Are you sure they're not taking this long because they're building their Vulkan stuff on top of the DX12 backend instead? Probably not, but that would be interesting.

i am not sure if this is possible, or else proton would already have this option
tuubi Aug 9, 2019
Quoting: mylka

i am not sure if this is possible, or else proton would already have this option
Yes, it is possible. DX12 and Vulkan are quite similar. Check out VKD3D.

I think DX12 emulation hasn't been a priority simply because there aren't many (or any?) DX12 exclusive games.

EDIT: But that's not exactly what I meant. I was almost hoping they'd build a proper Vulkan backend for the game based on the DX12 backend, but a compile-time translation layer would be the next best thing.
mylka Aug 9, 2019
Quoting: mylka

Yes, it is possible. DX12 and Vulkan are quite similar. Check out VKD3D.

I think DX12 emulation hasn't been a priority simply because there aren't many (or any?) DX12 exclusive games.

EDIT: But that's not exactly what I meant. I was almost hoping they'd build a proper Vulkan backend for the game based on the DX12 backend, but a compile-time translation layer would be the next best thing.

seems to work very well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXUBlj8Wd18
i wonder when it will be part of proton too

DX12 features arent that good. i think vulkan still doesnt support ray tracing and i am not sure about better performance

DX11-> vulkan would be enough for now and maybe they can patch DX12 features later

but now must people will play it with proton i think
tuubi Aug 9, 2019
Quoting: mylkaDX12 features arent that good. i think vulkan still doesnt support ray tracing and i am not sure about better performance
Nvidia has released Vulkan extensions to support their proprietary ray tracing (RTX) features, but I have no idea if they're worth it for this game. I also have no idea if the DX12 backend for SotTR is any good. Not really interested either, but at least theoretically it should be better suited for Vulkan translation.
mylka Nov 5, 2019
seems like the linux version with vulkan has much less cpu overhead, so even my old cpu can do a little better than dx11 on win7

did 2 more runs with gamemode and ACO

can someone also try it?
here my launch options
RADV_PERFTEST=aco gamemoderun VK_INSTANCE_LAYERS=VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay VK_LAYER_MESA_OVERLAY_STATS=submit,draw,pipeline-graphics VK_LAYER_MESA_OVERLAY_POSITION=top-right %command%

steam screenshot didnt made a pic of the mesa overlay

EDIT2: 2 more runs with "fidelityfx cas" on. it is an AMD image sharpening filter for vulkan and dx12 so i dont have it on win7. kinda same results

Last edited by mylka on 6 November 2019 at 12:27 am UTC
Koopacabras Nov 6, 2019
Quoting: The_AquabatI had to recheck the settings twice to be completely sure!! woot:O

Windows:

Linux:

(this is AMDVLK I swear that the settings are the same)
uname -a
Linux linux-5wx 5.0.0-20-mfutex #21~18.04.1+1valve1+mfutex2-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jul 22 21:05:06 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

AMDVLK is git from a couple of weeks ago, and proton is 4.11 standard default DXVK.

ok I reuploaded the pics, so with the feral port I'm getting 3fps more than my previous best score (for me AMDVLK was running better than ACO) and 4fps more than windows :D^_^

(this is with the medium preset, but I'm not sure if the medium preset is the same on the feral port as on windows/proton)

Last edited by Koopacabras on 6 November 2019 at 10:52 am UTC
Koopacabras Nov 6, 2019
Quoting: mylkatold you (and you got a way better CPU than i do)........ impressing and i wonder how feral will top that..... it makes absolutely no sense to wait anymore
sorry feral, but you took too long. the announcement was almost 1 year ago and still no release date

i wish phoronix would also test at least 1 card with windows each benchmark, so we have a comparison

turns out Feral did raise the bet!! good job!! really impressive! I told you there was some reason why the release was taking that long.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 6 November 2019 at 11:12 am UTC
mylka Nov 6, 2019
Quoting: The_Aquabat
Quoting: mylkatold you (and you got a way better CPU than i do)........ impressing and i wonder how feral will top that..... it makes absolutely no sense to wait anymore
sorry feral, but you took too long. the announcement was almost 1 year ago and still no release date

i wish phoronix would also test at least 1 card with windows each benchmark, so we have a comparison

turns out Feral did raise the bet!! good job!! really impressive! I told you there was some reason why the release was taking that long.

yes, but proton still has a very good performance and who knows if feral didnt do something like middle earth
and we both have win7. dx11 seems to be much slower than dx12, so i guess we would have better performance on win10

maybe it took so long because they have an agreement with the publisher to release it with the def edition

Last edited by mylka on 6 November 2019 at 2:43 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.