Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
Page: «9/21»
  Go to:
carbolymer Jan 4, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlFor me it got fixed, but those messages still spam dmesg, so I disabled most amdgpu sensors meanwhile, except for temperature monitor in KDE plasmoid, which doesn't trigger it for me.

@Smerl, which sensors and where did you disable it? I have the same issues, so I hope your workaround will help me.
Shmerl Jan 5, 2020
Fan and temperature sensors in ksysguard.
Shmerl Jan 6, 2020
Running 5.5-rc5 with amdgpu sensors in ksysguard. Looks like the powerplay bug is fixed now.
awesam Jan 6, 2020
Current Oibaf Mesa and Kernels 5.3.x (on 5.3.18 now) is still the only stable configuration with the RX 5700 for me.

With Kernel 5.5-rc5 I usually can't even reach the desktop, either it gets stuck during boot on black screen or error message "[drm:dm_helpers_parse_edid_caps [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Couldn't read SADs: -2". Or I reach the desktop, but then getting hard freezes.

So I guess I'm holding on to Kernels 5.3.x for now :|
tuubi Jan 6, 2020
I'm currently running Ubuntu's mainline 5.4.8 and Mesa from Kisak's PPA (19.3.1 with some backports) and everything seems to work fine.
TobyGornow Jan 6, 2020
Quoting: AwesamLinuxCurrent Oibaf Mesa and Kernels 5.3.x (on 5.3.18 now) is still the only stable configuration with the RX 5700 for me.

I'm on Mint 19.2 too running the 5.5-rc5 Kernel (Generic Ubuntu) and mesa 20.0 (oibaf ppa) and everything is silky smooth. I had some problem during the installation due to the outdated or non-existant firmwares from Mint. Did you check that ?
awesam Jan 6, 2020
I made another attempt with the 5.5-rc5 Kernel and most recent Oibaf. So far it is working without freezes as long as I don't have the Psensor application running.
Shmerl Jan 7, 2020
Quoting: AwesamLinuxI made another attempt with the 5.5-rc5 Kernel and most recent Oibaf. So far it is working without freezes as long as I don't have the Psensor application running.

So you are still having sensors issue with 5.5-rc5? Can you please comment here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/issues/900
sub Jan 9, 2020
Any suggestions which custom design of a 5700 XT to take?

Not looking for a OC model to squeeze out the last bit of performance.
Rather a card with improved performance over the ref design but with fans that aren't noisy.

Thanks. :)
buono Jan 9, 2020
I can recommend the sapphire pulse, I have the none xt model. The card has a very good cooling solution and with the twin bios feature the quiet setting is very quiet - I use this setting most of the time as the card is sufficiently powerful for me. The drivers are improving but there are still some powerplay issues that I think are ironed out in the upcoming 5.5 kernel. You are on Archlinux so that should be in just a few weeks. Shmerl has the xt model, I think, and has posted a great deal of details on performance and issues.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.