Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
Page: «10/21»
  Go to:
sub Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: buonoI can recommend the sapphire pulse, I have the none xt model. The card has a very good cooling solution and with the twin bios feature the quiet setting is very quiet - I use this setting most of the time as the card is sufficiently powerful for me. The drivers are improving but there are still some powerplay issues that I think are ironed out in the upcoming 5.5 kernel. You are on Archlinux so that should be in just a few weeks. Shmerl has the xt model, I think, and has posted a great deal of details on performance and issues.

Thank you. that's very helpful.
Think I'll go with that one then. :)
tuubi Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: buonoI can recommend the sapphire pulse, I have the none xt model. The card has a very good cooling solution and with the twin bios feature the quiet setting is very quiet - I use this setting most of the time as the card is sufficiently powerful for me. The drivers are improving but there are still some powerplay issues that I think are ironed out in the upcoming 5.5 kernel. You are on Archlinux so that should be in just a few weeks. Shmerl has the xt model, I think, and has posted a great deal of details on performance and issues.
I've got the Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT as well, and would recommend. Haven't used the quiet bios because so far the card has been mostly inaudible inside my insulated Fractal Design case at the default setting. Those Powerplay issues are related to sensors I gather? Haven't managed to trigger them myself, but I haven't really tried.
sub Jan 9, 2020
Ordered. :)

Really hoping I won't face any of the bigger issues...
Shmerl Jan 9, 2020
Quoting: subAny suggestions which custom design of a 5700 XT to take?

Not looking for a OC model to squeeze out the last bit of performance.
Rather a card with improved performance over the ref design but with fans that aren't noisy.

Thanks. :)

I'd recommend Sapphire. Check Pulse or Nitro+ models. Avoid reference ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJCm7bnOfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh1DeO4yz2s

I got Pulse model personally, and it's pretty quiet.

UPDATE: Ah, I see you ordered one. Pulse is good.

Last edited by Shmerl on 9 January 2020 at 10:24 pm UTC
Tuxee Jan 10, 2020
Quoting: subThink I'll go with that one then. :)

As stated in my initial post I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700. The card is quiet and seems to be stable - apart from the aforementioned driver problems. Currently the Oibaf Mesa 20.0 drivers and Kernel 5.3.18 provide a rather stable system. I'll give 5.5 a try once it is stable.
sub Jan 10, 2020
Right the day I ordered the card, signs of (probably) big Navi with double the performance of a 5700 XT emerges - the one I was waiting for a long time. *duh*

I'm calming myself thinking it won't be around the corner and much more expensive. ;)
Shmerl Jan 10, 2020
I doubt it will be out until at least summer or so.

Last edited by Shmerl on 10 January 2020 at 4:08 pm UTC
Tuxee Jan 11, 2020
Which in turn means a stable experience can't be expected before Christmas 2020...
tuubi Jan 11, 2020
Quoting: TuxeeWhich in turn means a stable experience can't be expected before Christmas 2020...
If it's just a more powerful Navi, I doubt they'll have a whole new set of issues to iron out. AMD might not have a great track record with drivers for a new hardware architecture on Linux, but a new GPU based on an established architecture isn't likely to be nearly as problematic.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.