Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
CPU cooler for Ryzen
TobyGornow Dec 28, 2019
Hi folks,

Just received my new Ryzen bundled with a Wraith Prism cooler and I'm asking myself if I should stick with this one or should I re-use the Cryorig H5 universal that is actually in my current computer.

H5 universal is advertised as 160w TDP, can't find the info for the wraith.

So, H5 or Wraith ? Thanks for your help.
Koopacabras Dec 28, 2019
Unless you are planning to overclock, the Wraith cooler should be enough... the only way my Ryzen gets hot (had another ryzen before this) is if I overclock it to 4.1 ghz and use several cores (more than 8), for example doing parallels builds of the kernel (with make -j12). And games hardly use more than 4 cores (so it nevers gets truly hot) so for me the standard cooler is enough.

IMHO is not worth it even if you overclock like crazy till 5.0 ghz you will only gain a few fps increment, at it best 5fps. I tried Overclocking to 4.3 ghz with the standard cooler and only got and increment of 2fps.

What it makes a difference with Ryzen cpus it's the frequency of the memory, the HyperTransport BUS is tied to the DDR frequency, spending some extra bucks in faster memory, pays off.

But if you can get a cooler upgrade for free, then why not?? I think that the TDP of the Wraith is 120W. So that cooler is better.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 28 December 2019 at 10:47 pm UTC
Shmerl Dec 29, 2019
Which Ryzen exactly? I recommend Noctua NH-D15 (using 2 fans). It works great with Ryzen 9 3900X for me. It should be for sure way more silent than the stock Wraith Prism. And I prefer to reduce noise without reducing cooling capacity. Make sure your case is big enough for it though - it's pretty huge.

Last edited by Shmerl on 29 December 2019 at 3:46 am UTC
TobyGornow Dec 29, 2019
@The_Aquabat Thanks for the info, I will then re-use the Cryorig even if the Wraith looks good and is a better fit for my case.

@Shmerl Same as yours. I bought the H5 universal and not the NH-D15 at the time for one reason, the 5 mm height difference.

The cryorig barely allow me to put my side panel back in place so the Noctua is not an option. I could change my case, sure, but I've spent years customizing it with various stickers so I grew fond of it and I know it can still hold this fourth configuration swap.

Build time is coming, hope everything will go smooth, fingers crossed.
Shmerl Dec 29, 2019
Quoting: TobyGornow@Shmerl Same as yours. I bought the H5 universal and not the NH-D15 at the time for one reason, the 5 mm height difference.

That's why I went with Cooler Master Cosmos II 25th AE. Plenty of space for ventilation, and also easy to add custom dust filters. And it supports 200 mm fans, so that adds to noise reduction. The downside is its huge size.

Last edited by Shmerl on 29 December 2019 at 9:30 am UTC
Xpander Dec 29, 2019
I have Be Quiet Dark Rock 4, its whisper quiet and about same level cooling as Noctua NH-D15 - the only problem with it is that if i have 4 ram sticks, i can't really add the fan to the correct side, but well doesnt really matter, can be used with different configuration also
TobyGornow Dec 29, 2019
Change of plan, I'll use the Wraith for now.

After one hour looking for the box of the H5 to get the AMD backplate, I discovered that this cooler bought 2 years ago didn't come with an AM4 kit and after a quick search found out that it's not backward compatible with AM3+ and, icing on the cake, Cryorig discontinued their program for free AM4 upgrade kit. Bummer...
TobyGornow Dec 30, 2019
Build finished...Almost. I will consider changing my case that's really old before minding the cooler, so old I that it have the 4 5"1/4 slots all available and that's a lot of lost space. And I forgot that I replaced the missing pci covers metal thingy with cardbox and duct tape to give a more professional ghetto style ( Zip ties inside too ). Shmerl made me envious of his nice CoolerMaster too ;)

Concerning the cooler, it's pretty silent and efficient, RGB grew on me and as Aquabat stated is sufficient for now.

Cheers
Shmerl Dec 30, 2019
If you'll consider Cooler Master Cosmos II 25th Anniversary Edition, note that it doesn't have fancy USB-C or USB 3.1 on the front panel, but that doesn't bother me much. I can get a hub and connect it to the back to the motherboard ports if I'd need that.

The major plus of the case was 200 mm fans support for me on the top and front (I put one 140 mm Noctua for exhaust on the back and two 200 mm Noctua for intake on top and front in it, and they are very silent). It's pretty hard to find any recent cases like that, which also have simple surfaces for custom dust filters. If you need those, check Demciflex, I ordered them for that CM case, and they work very well.

With Noctua case fans, make sure to use their rubber connectors instead of fan screws, that reduces vibration noise quite a bit. Also, the top fan holes in that Cosmos II case don't align with 200 mm Noctua fan, but rubber connectors are flexible, so that works around the issue fine (with screws it simply won't work, unless you'll drill holes in the case).

Last edited by Shmerl on 30 December 2019 at 9:07 pm UTC
TobyGornow Dec 31, 2019
@Shmerl This case seems really nice but 300 Quids I can't anymore, I'm already over-budget. My choice goes to the much cheaper MSI MPG Gungir (I Hate the dragon on the front plate but the free Monster Hunter Iceborn offer make me like it) or the Corsair Carbine Spec Delta RGB.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.