Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Issues Running Surviving Mars / Questions About OpenSSL
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Cyba.Cowboy May 13, 2020
I'm trying to run "Surviving Mars" - which used to work just fine, prior to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - but the game simply will not start... When I try to run the game via Terminal, I am told:
/./MarsGOG: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory/

A quick search online shows that this refers to OpenSSL, and I found a bug report that talks about why this was disabled in the first place:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=736687

That bug report states in no uncertain terms that OpenSSL should not be installed unless absolutely necessary...

So my questions are:
1) Is there any way around this error?
2) Is it actually safe to install OpenSSL?
3) How do I install and / or enable OpenSSL (I can see numerous users online that have had difficulty getting the OpenSSL libraries working even after installing it)?

Last edited by Cyba.Cowboy on 13 May 2020 at 6:56 am UTC
dvd May 13, 2020
A lot of games need this outdated openssl library. Just copy the one from Steam runtime if you have Steam and some linux games for it, no need to install it system wide.
Liam Dawe May 13, 2020
A lot of games actually require SSL, plenty of them bundle what they need with it. If the game does not, you should probably speak to GOG and get them to sort it since they're usually the ones packaging up Linux games. Steam usually sorts that itself, since it has the Steam Linux Runtime.

It's the same on Fedora FYI, you need to supply it yourself.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 13 May 2020 at 9:32 am UTC
Cyba.Cowboy May 13, 2020
Quoting: dvdJust copy the one from Steam runtime if you have Steam and some linux games for it, no need to install it system wide.

I searched the ".steam" folder for "libssl"... Nothing.

Where else might I find this file and if not on my system, what package do I install for the latest version (libssl / libssl.so didn't work)?

Quoting: Liam DaweIf the game does not, you should probably speak to GOG and get them to sort it since they're usually the ones packaging up Linux games.

Nevermind.

I'll see what GOG.com say first...

Last edited by Cyba.Cowboy on 13 May 2020 at 9:38 am UTC
serge May 13, 2020
Hello,

I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to install OpenSSL, and it is probably already installed on your system but it is a newer version than the one you used to play Surviving Mars previously.

The game is looking for 1.0.0 and in Ubuntu 20.04 the version is 1.1.1, you could try a symlink and see if it works or download the old lib put it in the game folder and preload it.
Cyba.Cowboy May 14, 2020
Quoting: sergeand it is probably already installed on your system but it is a newer version than the one you used to play Surviving Mars previously.

The game is looking for 1.0.0 and in Ubuntu 20.04 the version is 1.1.1, you could try a symlink and see if it works or download the old lib put it in the game folder and preload it.

You're right - I have a much newer version of OpenSSL installed that "Surviving Mars" apparently cannot "see"... I have e-mailed both GOG.com and Paradox Interactive to see if the game will be updated to address this game-breaking bug in the foreseeable future.
dvd May 14, 2020
Quoting: Cyba.Cowboy
Quoting: dvdJust copy the one from Steam runtime if you have Steam and some linux games for it, no need to install it system wide.

I searched the ".steam" folder for "libssl"... Nothing.

Where else might I find this file and if not on my system, what package do I install for the latest version (libssl / libssl.so didn't work)?

Quoting: Liam DaweIf the game does not, you should probably speak to GOG and get them to sort it since they're usually the ones packaging up Linux games.

Nevermind.

I'll see what GOG.com say first...
The full path on my system is "~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/"

For games that require libssl 1.0 you will typically also need to copy the corresponding libcrypto from this same folder. A good way to find out where it searches local libraries is looking at the ldd output for non-system paths, and copy those two libs there.

Also, from my experience on debian symlinks to newer versions of ssl library won't work.

Last edited by dvd on 14 May 2020 at 3:11 pm UTC
Cyba.Cowboy May 14, 2020
Quoting: dvdThe full path on my system is "~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/"

For games that require libssl 1.0 you will typically also need to copy the corresponding libcrypto from this same folder. A good way to find out where it searches local libraries is looking at the ldd output for non-system paths, and copy those two libs there.

Yeah, I found those two files and copied them to the parent folder for "Surviving Mars"... Strange that they didn't come up when I searched for them (might be because they're in a "hidden" folder).

I'm still going to keep pushing for GOG.com / Paradox Interactive to either update this game to include libssl.so.1.0.0, or support the latest version... Not including this and "passing the buck" is just lazy - "everyday gamers" shouldn't need to go through this hassle because they're too lazy to include this library or support the latest version.
damarrin May 15, 2020
GOG hates you and your Linux computer and they’re doing what they can to get everyone to use Windows so they can fire the lone Linux person they have.
Cyba.Cowboy May 15, 2020
Quoting: damarrinGOG hates you and your Linux computer and they’re doing what they can to get everyone to use Windows so they can fire the lone Linux person they have.

Sad, but true.
Dennis_Payne May 15, 2020
Quoting: sergeI don't see why it wouldn't be safe to install OpenSSL, and it is probably already installed on your system but it is a newer version than the one you used to play Surviving Mars previously.
It's not that install openssl is not safe. It's that openssl 1.0 is not considered safe anymore due to bugs. Therefore the openssl developers don't want you deploying that version. Whether games use it in an unsafe way depends on the game. In most cases it is very low risk.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.