Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Game server hosting on the Azores?
Julius Jun 2, 2020
Edit: As of 2022 the direct fiber-line to Florida has been decomissioned, making this offer pointless as all traffic to the US is routed over London or other exchanges on mainland Europe.

As a side project (likely small fee based or with a Patreon etc.) I am thinking about hosting some game servers.

The unique proposition is that due to my location (Azores, a small island chain in the Atlantic) and good fiber connectivity I could host servers with quite level ping times for cross Atlantic tournaments.

From some preliminary testing it appears that I can get down to around 100ms for US east coast, and around 80 for central Europe.

Would that be of any interest here? Initially as I am installing the servers I would need some beta testers :)

I think I will try to use: https://linuxgsm.com/

But if anyone has some other good suggestions for the software infrastructure, I am open to suggestions.

I remember there was specifically some sort of tournament planning software, but I forgot the name. Can anyone recommend one?

Last edited by Julius on 19 April 2023 at 10:44 am UTC
Julius Jun 20, 2020
I have a Xonotic test server up and running if you want to test how well the ping is. Should be easy to find on the server browser.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.