Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Games that Utilize Dual Screens?
Cyba.Cowboy Jun 8, 2020
My ASUS ZenBook Duo UX481 has dual built-in displays, which is waaay more useful than you'd think in Real World usage.

But are there any Linux games out there that actually utilize multiple displays (e.g. flight simulators that display controls on the secondary display, racing games that display a "rear vision" mirror on the secondary display, etc...)?
damarrin Jun 8, 2020
I was looking at these laptops a few weeks ago, is the 2nd screen also useful in Linux? I couldn't find one without Windows, however, so I'll probably not be getting one even if they seem very cool.
Cyba.Cowboy Jun 8, 2020
Quoting: damarrinI was looking at these laptops a few weeks ago, is the 2nd screen also useful in Linux?

Ubuntu just treats it like a second display, with no extra effort needed.

I originally bought it because I was in the market for a new laptop anyway, and I was curious about how this would work under a Linux-based operating system... Much to my surprise, it not only works, but the second display is actually incredibly useful in the Real World.

In fact, I'm so impressed with this laptop that I'm considering getting the same laptop for my wife, when I have the money...

If you're interested, I wrote a brief overview of my experience with Ubuntu here.

Quoting: damarrinI couldn't find one without Windows, however, so I'll probably not be getting one even if they seem very cool.

Like most laptops, it comes with a Microsoft Windows-based operating system... But as is usually the case, it was easy and straightforward to install Ubuntu on it in a "single-boot" setup.
damarrin Jun 8, 2020
Oh, yeah, I know it's easy to remove Windows. I'd just rather get a computer without it in the first place. Many laptops can be bought without a system, or rather with FreeDos.
ageres Jun 8, 2020
What about Nintendo DS/3DS emulators?
Cyba.Cowboy Jun 8, 2020
Quoting: ageresWhat about Nintendo DS/3DS emulators?

Yeah, someone suggested that over on Reddit.

I actually have both a Nintendo DSi and a Nintendo New 3DS XL sitting next to me, so it's not really what I'm looking for... I'll probably still have a look at some point though, out of curiosity, because I think it would be an especially clever way to use this particular laptop.
Valck Jun 8, 2020
Quoting: Cyba.Cowboyflight simulators

Flight Gear supports multiple displays.
https://www.flightgear.org/about/features/

Last edited by Valck on 8 June 2020 at 9:27 pm UTC
Cyba.Cowboy Jun 9, 2020
Quoting: Valck
Quoting: Cyba.Cowboyflight simulators

Flight Gear supports multiple displays.
https://www.flightgear.org/about/features/

Now this looks interesting... Definitely going to be taking FlightGear for a spin!

Last edited by Cyba.Cowboy on 9 June 2020 at 7:46 am UTC
oberjaeger Jun 10, 2020
Supreme Commander supports a second screen.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/9350/discussions/0/846944689674686745/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.