Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Monitor refresh rates - a call for feedback
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
GustyGhost Nov 7, 2020
I am tempted to write a script that just goes through an polls for all of the information to upload to the stats. xrandr can probably supply the refresh rate.
Liam Dawe Nov 7, 2020
Okay, the new questions are live now.

Let me know of any issues.

Monthly cron has been updated for chart generation, charts for each question will appear December 1.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 7 November 2020 at 8:15 pm UTC
CatKiller Nov 7, 2020
I think you added a reminder to the reminder articles that you'd added extra questions when you added the X11/Wayland ones; you'll want to remember to do that again, too.
Liam Dawe Nov 7, 2020
Quoting: CatKillerI think you added a reminder to the reminder articles that you'd added extra questions when you added the X11/Wayland ones; you'll want to remember to do that again, too.
I'll hopefully remember, either way the way it shows current info automatically notes if you've got missed questions.
Shmerl Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweSo "VRR" as an option then? (Variable refresh rate). Would that suffice?

VRR is HDMI name for it. Vesa/DP call it adaptive sync. But it's the same thing in essence.

Quoting: Liam DaweHmm, this is a tricky one. Maybe just as an additional "do you have a variable refresh rate?" option then.

Yep, that would be a good option to add.

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 November 2020 at 3:13 am UTC
Linas Nov 8, 2020
VRR situation is completely frustrating right now. There are so many different "standards" out there incompatible with each other. My TV should support HDMI 2.1 VRR, and my graphics card should support Freesync, but only through DP, because it only has HDMI 2.0b, but the TV has no DP ports.

At the time of purchase there was literally not a single option guaranteed to work. And I am still not sure there is now.
Shmerl Nov 8, 2020
HDMI is proprietary, so not really something you can even call a standard. DisplayPort is open, so its adaptive sync is a standard.

The fact that TVs don't have DP is caused by HDMI cartel which collects money on HDMI patents. HDMI is simply a worse technology.

In general, avoid devices which are HDMI only.

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 November 2020 at 8:31 am UTC
Liam Dawe Nov 8, 2020
Okay so no one has issues with the current questions and answers I assume since this has gone completely off the topic. Will leave open for a bit to see if anyone does otherwise will consider it done.
Linas Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlIn general, avoid devices which are HDMI only.
That's exactly why it's so frustrating. All I wanted was a decent TV that I could also use for gaming from the sofa. They can put both HDMI and DP ports on regular minitors just fine, but as soon as it's a teevee then somehow it's mission impossible all of the sudden.
Shmerl Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: LinasThat's exactly why it's so frustrating. All I wanted was a decent TV that I could also use for gaming from the sofa. They can put both HDMI and DP ports on regular minitors just fine, but as soon as it's a teevee then somehow it's mission impossible all of the sudden.

Yeah, it's pretty corrupt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#History
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.