Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Monitor refresh rates - a call for feedback
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
Linas Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweOkay so no one has issues with the current questions and answers I assume since this has gone completely off the topic.
Sorry for that. Touched a healing wound for me.

Already filled mine in.
Valck Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweOkay so no one has issues with the current questions and answers I assume since this has gone completely off the topic. Will leave open for a bit to see if anyone does otherwise will consider it done.
Now that I have the "Yes/No/Sometimes" selection right in front of me, I'm thinking "Well, (x)No, but I probably would if my hardware supported it, so (x)Yes or (x)Sometimes?". Selecting "No" feels wrong somehow, but leaving it empty does so too.
Maybe it needs another pair of options "(x)Would if I could"/"(x)Wouldn't if my life depended on it".
I mean, it's there in the VR info ("not/planning to get..."), so why not here as well.

Last edited by Valck on 8 November 2020 at 9:41 am UTC
Liam Dawe Nov 8, 2020
If you're not planning to, or you don't have it at all - then it's just "No". It doesn't need to be made complicated.

However, if people feel strongly about having a "Not supported" type of answer, I could add one in.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 8 November 2020 at 9:44 am UTC
CatKiller Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweIf you're not planning to, or you don't have it at all - then it's just "No". It doesn't need to be made complicated.

However, if people feel strongly about having a "Not supported" type of answer, I could add one in.

I would say that it shouldn't be there. Whether you don't have the feature, or you have the feature but it doesn't work, or you have the feature but turn it off, the outcome is still the same: you aren't using that feature.
Linas Nov 8, 2020
I'd say "yes" and "no" should suffice. "Sometimes" is not needed either, because then you get the ambiguity of how often "sometimes" is and when should it turn to a "yes"?

Last edited by Linas on 8 November 2020 at 10:58 am UTC
Liam Dawe Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: LinasI'd say "yes" and "no" should suffice. "Sometimes" is not needed either, because then you get the ambiguity of how often "sometimes" is and when should it turn to a "yes"?
That's more a case of showing they have it supported, so they use it sometimes. As opposed to having "yes, no, supported but don't use it, don't have it" etc etc.
Linas Nov 8, 2020
How about "supported" and "not supported" then?
Liam Dawe Nov 8, 2020
Quoting: LinasHow about "supported" and "not supported" then?
Well, not supported is just "No". Supported would be either No because they don't use it, Yes because they use it or Sometimes ;)
Shmerl Nov 8, 2020
"Supported" can be a bit misleading. For example, the monitor can support adaptive sync / VRR, but on Wayland most compositors don't provide support for it yet, so you can't use it.

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 November 2020 at 5:42 pm UTC
Morguldir Nov 12, 2020
I have a G-Sync monitor, and a G-Sync enabled card, but i can't use it because NVIDIA only supports G-Sync for single monitor setups (it technically still works if the game covers all the monitors). I would like an option for it not being supported by the display server.

If you use multiple monitors VRR is as far as i know only supported by Sway on Wayland for AMD users. It would be interesting to see how many people end up not using VRR because it isn't properly supported, since 38% have multiple monitors. And i believe Sway is the only wayland compositor with VRR support as of now, like Shmerl said.

Here are the relevant threads on wayland VRR support for KDE and GNOME. Arch wiki also covers some of the limitations of using VRR on linux

The wording could be something like "Configuration not supported by display server", which covers X.org, and covers wayland KWin and Mutter, but this might require more clarifications. Xpander mentioned turning off monitors to be able to use it, i guess this would be covered by sometimes, and you would select this option if you don't want to turn off monitors.

Anyway, the new options seem pretty useful, it will be interesting to see the numbers.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.