Remote play together does not work between linux
Science Nov 27, 2020
My System Info

Linux Distribution: Manjaro
Desktop Environment: Gnome
Graphics Card: AMD RX 580
GPU Driver Version: 2.2.2
(more details https://pastebin.com/w4JPaDfk )

So, basically, Remote Play Together doesn't work between Linux machines (my friend and I both have Manjaro). But Remote Play Together works just fine from Linux to Windows.

I tried different decoding options (and also what it says here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_Remote_Play_issues ) but always it says "The streaming client exited unexpectedly (2)". When him or I try to host. Both tried to RPT to a Windows machine and both worked. The problem is when we try to play (again, both under Manjaro).

I don't know how to generate or find the log files, however, my friend says he found them in /tmp/dumps/file.dmp but idk if this says something useful ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BZCxuipNcH6tvQFmRlR8aTMIAuPEdV7I/view?usp=sharing )
Mezron Dec 1, 2020
It works for me and my family (all linux users) but recently as of mid March controller support stopped working. I use to use remote play for Tekken 7 and Sega games and it worked perfectly then after an update it still works but only for keyboard controls not controller.

Last edited by Mezron on 1 December 2020 at 4:08 pm UTC
Science Dec 2, 2020
Quoting: RafiLinuxIt works for me and my family (all linux users) but recently as of mid March controller support stopped working. I use to use remote play for Tekken 7 and Sega games and it worked perfectly then after an update it still works but only for keyboard controls not controller.

So maybe I am missing a package or library or I don't know. Anyway, thanks
Rooster Feb 21, 2021
I run into the same issue with my friend who was running Linux Mint.
On Linux Mint, Remote Play Together still doesn't work (even though it was working before).

However, as my friend switched to Manjaro it is now working fine, all she needed to do was Steam - Settings - Remote Play Settings - Advanced Client Options - uncheck Enable Hardware Decoding.

It's possible this can be also fixed on Linux Mind by installing newer drivers from PPAs.
ripper81358 Feb 22, 2021
Steam Remoteplay has always been problematic on linux. In my case the main issue is performance. As far as i know there is no support for videoencoding on AMD GPU's in steam remoteplay despite the option for encoding with an AMD GPU is enabled by default in the remoteplay settings. Only NVENC seems to be supported on linux for Nvidia GPU's. Before i switched to AMD i had no problems running steam remoteplay.

Last edited by ripper81358 on 22 February 2021 at 7:26 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.