Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Linus on ECC RAM (& the recent 'unofficial' support AMD added on consumer hardware for it)
wvstolzing Jan 3, 2021
Nice to see some of my inchoate suspicions confirmed by Linus Torvalds:

https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=198497&curpostid=198647

QuoteThe arguments against ECC were always complete and utter garbage. Now even the memory manufacturers are starting do do ECC internally because they finally owned up to the fact that they absolutely have to.

And the memory manufacturers claim it's because of economics and lower power. And they are lying bastards - let me once again point to row-hammer about how those problems have existed for several generations already, but these f*ckers happily sold broken hardware to consumers and claimed it was an "attack", when it always was "we're cutting corners".

How many times has a row-hammer like bit-flip happened just by pure bad luck on real non-attack loads? We will never know. Because Intel was pushing shit to consumers.
PublicNuisance Jan 3, 2021
I do love it when Linus gets riled up.
GustyGhost Jan 5, 2021
Uh oh are they going to send Linus off to some docility education camp again?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.