Intel Xe vs AMD Radeon
Dennis_Payne Jan 15, 2021
I keep looking at new laptops. My current system76 laptop haa integrated intel graphics and is 6 years old. System76 has mostly gone with Nvidia which I don't want. I've been waiting for the AMD laptop with Radeon but I started looking at the Lemur Pro with Intel Iris Xe graphics. Seems like benchmark wise, the Radeon in the laptop and the Intel Iris Xe seem pretty comparable. Does anyone have experience with these graphics hardware under linux?

I understand that I lose a lot of graphics power by using a laptop.
Shmerl Jan 18, 2021
I'd say CPU wise AMD already beats Intel pretty clearly. And their GPUs are very good on Linux too. I can't comment on Intel Xe itself.
nattydread Jan 19, 2021
Quoting: Dennis_PayneI understand that I lose a lot of graphics power by using a laptop.

Not if you buy a gaming laptop, but then you sacrifice good battery life.
These days I would choose AMD over intel.
Arehandoro Jan 27, 2021
Quoting: nattydread
Quoting: Dennis_PayneI understand that I lose a lot of graphics power by using a laptop.

Not if you buy a gaming laptop, but then you sacrifice good battery life.
These days I would choose AMD over intel.

You still lose compared to full ITX boards/GPUs. Size and airflow matter.

Last edited by Arehandoro on 27 January 2021 at 2:52 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.