Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
I made a little FOSS game
Samsai Jan 31, 2021
I've been working on this little game on my Sunday livestreams for the past few months and it's now pretty much complete. It's not going to shine in its graphics and it's definitely not a long gameplay experience as it only has 10 levels, but it's been fun to make and maybe I'll expand upon it someday if there's interest in it.

You can find playable Linux binaries over at https://samsai.itch.io/robot-ricochet and the source code and assets are on https://gitlab.com/Samsai/mirrored-lasers. Code is GPLv3 and the assets I made myself are CC-BY-SA, but there are also some PD assets I took from elsewhere and some contributions that were made by other people. Those people are credited both on the Itch page and in the readme file.

If nothing else it might be useful for people interested in what goes into a game like this. I wrote it in Rust using SDL2 and the Specs ECS system. Some of the code is maybe a bit messy since some of the newer ideas clash a little bit with the older design, but I think it's reasonably well architected and should be possible to follow along with, even if it doesn't have a whole lot of comments. So maybe someone might learn something from it.
damarrin Feb 1, 2021
It's a no-go on Ubuntu 16.04. I was able to install libpng16 and libjpeg62 from repos, but libtinfo6 is not available and making a link to libtinfo.so.5 just results in glibc and ncurses6 errors.

It runs fine on current Manjaro, however.

Good job! :-)

Last edited by damarrin on 1 February 2021 at 8:19 am UTC
Samsai Feb 1, 2021
I only tested on Debian 10 and Arch, something like Ubuntu 16.04 was so old I figured nobody would be using it anymore for gaming. It should work pretty much anywhere if you take the sources and compile them, provided you have access to the Rust compiler and tools.
damarrin Feb 1, 2021
One comment if I may.

It took me a couple of levels to even see that robots have the red lines and even once I did I can't use them to tell if I'm going to be safe or not. If they're supposed to help me, they need to be more visible.
damarrin Feb 1, 2021
And done. This was fun.
eldaking Feb 2, 2021
Hmm, I initially thought it was somehow connected to this classic boardgame, but apparently not?
Samsai Feb 2, 2021
Quoting: eldakingHmm, I initially thought it was somehow connected to this classic boardgame, but apparently not?
No, the original name I had for this project was "Mirrored Lasers" but that became less accurate of the actual game over time, so we brainstormed a new title on stream and Robot Ricochet came out of that. I was only afterwards made aware that there was a game called Ricochet Robots, at which point I decided that the names were different enough to bother changing the name again.
eldaking Feb 2, 2021
Quoting: SamsaiNo, the original name I had for this project was "Mirrored Lasers" but that became less accurate of the actual game over time, so we brainstormed a new title on stream and Robot Ricochet came out of that. I was only afterwards made aware that there was a game called Ricochet Robots, at which point I decided that the names were different enough to bother changing the name again.

I see, makes sense. I wasn't sure if there was some inspiration regarding theme or something, mostly because I only know the boardgame by name. :P
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.