Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Sony DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor freezes entire system please help :/
Keeper86 Feb 2, 2021
Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum but not the site or Linux. I still use the DS4 adapter for my Ds4 which works perfectly! Except most of the time after turning my controller on it'll freeze my entire Os no matter which distro I use or kerenl. I'm using Manjaro KDE atm. If it doesn't freeze after powering on the controller it works perfectly.

I'm searched and searched and even asked on various other Linux forums with no replies or luck. I do have a Bluetooth adapter that I've tested which works just fine and does not cause the controller to freeze my system unlike the DS4 adapter.

I have no problem using the Bluetooth adapter other than it seems kinda laggy compared to the DS4 adapter. Has anyone else had this issue?

system specs

██████████████████ ████████ Kernel: 5.10.7-3-MANJARO
████████ ████████ Uptime: 20 hours, 21 mins
████████ ████████ ████████ Packages: 1404 (pacman)
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 5.1.0
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
████████ ████████ ████████ DE: Plasma 5.20.5
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: KWin
████████ ████████ ████████ WM Theme: Breeze
████████ ████████ ████████ Theme: Breeze Dark [Plasma], Breath-Dark [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icons: Papirus-Grey [Plasma], Papirus-Grey [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Terminal: konsole
Terminal Font: Noto Mono 10
CPU: Intel i9-9900K (16) @ 5.000GHz
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Memory: 4719MiB / 15899MiB
Keeper86 Feb 12, 2021
I guess I'll just stick to my Bluetooth adapter lol
KayKay Feb 20, 2021
Hi! I've had this exact problem for several months as well and have not been able to find a solution. I was using Manjaro as well at first, but I'm currently using ArcoLinux. I've upgraded my entire PC since then so I doubt that it's hardware specific. The adapter I'm using is also the DS4 bluetooth adapter.
Keeper86 Feb 23, 2021
Quoting: KayKayHi! I've had this exact problem for several months as well and have not been able to find a solution. I was using Manjaro as well at first, but I'm currently using ArcoLinux. I've upgraded my entire PC since then so I doubt that it's hardware specific. The adapter I'm using is also the DS4 bluetooth adapter.
Thanks for replying! I really wish someone would chime in on this. Its super annoying and irritating! I remember when I first got the adapter in 2016 or 2017 it worked fine with no freezing. I'm on Pop OS now with same issue so its not distro related. I think its more kernel related.

Anyone else have any ideas? Bluetooth works fine however It takes longer to shut off when exiting Steam. Another reason I prefer using the adapter is because sometimes I switch into Windows 10 for certain games and the controller still stays paired unlike Bluetooth :(
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.