Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
trouble with 6800xt on Ubuntu 20.04
MuddyAU Feb 7, 2021
I recently added a new 6800xt to my existing Ubuntu 20.04machine that already has two RX480/580 in it. At that stage it was running kernel 5.4.0-54 and amdgpu-pro 20.20 and this worked fine. It seems the 6800xt needs the new 20.45 driver and possibly a newer kernel. I have been trying combinations of amdgpu-pro 20.45 and either kernel 5.4.0-54 or 5.10.13 and various --opencl options when installing amdgpu-pro but so far haven't been able to get the driver working with the 6800xt. Under kernel 5.10 I can't get opencl installed as I get errors with dkms during amdgpu install. Under kernel 5.4.0-54 I can get opencl installed with options "pal,legacy" and then the applications can see the card but they fail when they try to use it.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong during install as I know others are running 6800s in Ubuntu 20.04. Any clues?
MuddyAU Feb 8, 2021
Thanks, I actually got it working. I used Ubuntu 20.04.2 and new kernel 5.10.14 and more or less followed this guide: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ubuntu-20-10-rx-6800-xt-how-to-steam-vulkan-up-and-runing-guide-wip/164137

Basically you try to install the proprietary drivers, it fails, you update kernel and copy the driver firmware manually. It is functional for my purposes however I see overclocking under Linux may be added in kernel 5.12 sometime soon.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.