Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Small World
Guppy Feb 10, 2021
With the plauge still going strong and humble offering digital alternatives I bougth me some digital cardboard ;)

How ever I cannot for the life of me get small world to start

I even tried the advice on https://www.protondb.com/app/235620 to no avail :(

username@guppybox:~$ PROTON_NO_D3D11=1 /home/username/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh steam://rungameid/235620 -force-d3d9
[...]
ExecCommandLine: "'/home/username/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam' 'steam://rungameid/235620' '-force-d3d9'"
ExecuteSteamURL: "steam://rungameid/235620"
System startup time: 4.02 seconds
[0209/070229.905158:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(270)] Crash reporting enabled for process: renderer
[0209/070229.925987:INFO:crash_reporting.cc(270)] Crash reporting enabled for process: renderer
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 235620: 0
GameAction [AppID 235620, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 235620, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 235620, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 235620, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 235620, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Game update: AppID 235620 "", ProcID 4696, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/username/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/username/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
/home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2/Small World 2: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_32/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulse.so.0)
/home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2/Small World 2: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.66)
/home/username/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2/Small World 2: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_32/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-13.99.so)
Starting app 235620
>>> Adding process 4696 for game ID 235620
GameAction [AppID 235620, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
>>> Adding process 4697 for game ID 235620
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1612493737)
GameAction [AppID 235620, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
Game removed: AppID 235620 "", ProcID 4696 
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Exiting app 235620

All the errors I can see seems to occur before I starts the same "Starting app 235620" but any advice on how to fix the situation would be nice ;)
Guppy Feb 10, 2021
So out of desperation I tried setting it to specifically run with 5.13-5 ( which is the *default* version ) still using  PROTON_NO_D3D11=1 %command% -force-d3d9  as the launch option.

Now the game updated small world and setup dx redist and launched flawlessly... the heck.
g000h Feb 10, 2021
This is interesting. Recently I updated GoL's Hidden Linux Ports on Steam (in Wiki) with Small World as having a native Linux port. After spotting your post, I decided I would install the native version, and test it working and then get back here to say "You don't need to play it with Proton - Play it native instead".

Well, that hasn't gone to plan and now, I've got a problem and question for other Linux users:

Small World installs fine and is clearly a Linux title. Running it from the Steam client and immediately stops. Running it in a terminal with the following command - gives an error:

/home/games/steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/bin32/ ~/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./Small\ World\ 2 
./Small World 2: /home/games/steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.67)

As yet, I haven't been able to resolve this further. Any suggestions?
(Of course, I've tried looking for and installing various C++ libraries but nothing has succeeded as yet.)

It'd be nice to report Small World native Linux version working properly. :/
denyasis Feb 10, 2021
Riding a guess in here. It looks like the ABI is needed by your system lib and is not provided by the game's lib?

Maybe try symlinking or copying your system libstdc++.so.6 lib over the one in the game folder?

My understanding with steam games is that valve uses fairly old libraries. Is bet your system lib wants something newer from the game libraries.

I had to replace a bunch of libs that way a number of years ago to play HalfLife as what it shipped with was too old for my system. I believe I just copied them over.

Sorry if you've already tried that.
Guppy Feb 11, 2021
Quoting: g000h 
/home/games/steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/bin32/ ~/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./Small\ World\ 2 
./Small World 2: /home/games/steam/steamapps/common/SmallWorld2/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libicuuc.so.67)

I never even concidered that it might have a linux port - the above error is that it's using the native library for internationalization but a local version of the libstdc++.

The windows version does provide a local version of libicuuc : steamapps/common/SmallWorld2/libicuuc.dll
if it does you could try to preload it to force it to use that by adding the SmallWorld2 folder to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I did try STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=0 but that had no effect.

I may try to install the native version again sometime this weekend if I've some tinker time
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.