Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Sold my 1080Ti - Thinking to get AMD Radeo 6900XT
wolfyrion Feb 14, 2021
Hi,

As the title says I have sold my 1080Ti and I am thinking to go ALL RED under Linux.

I have a 1950x Threadripper with Fatality x399 but it doesnt support PCIE ver 4 (I have read that it doesn't matter much in gaming performance )

Anyway I am thinking to buy the Red Devil AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 RADEON RX

https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1607314166

I was an NVIDIA user for many years so this is my first time to go with RADEON

Anyone had a good experience with 6900XT? Any advice would be much apreciated

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by wolfyrion on 14 February 2021 at 9:42 pm UTC
14 Feb 14, 2021
Isn't it a greater question to ask where to buy one? The reason I don't have a 6800 XT is because it was easier to get my hands on a PS5!
wolfyrion Feb 15, 2021
I manage to grab one from Computeruniverse

PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil Product number 90824551 Available from stock. Reserved for you.

And that was the last one ... no more available...
dpanter Feb 15, 2021
I also had a 1080Ti and now rock a Red Devil 6900XT. I guess we hate money or something...

It's a bloody whopper of a card, better make sure it fits beforehand! This mofo sure didn't leave much room to spare in my old case. You'll also need a beefy PSU, I wouldn't feel good with anything under 850W. Got a 1K unit here and haven't seen any issues, using all three power connectors on separate cables.

Linux support isn't perfect really, adjusting voltages/fans/clocks etc is said to improve with kernel 5.12. Nevertheless, it works great and runs hella fast. Gets a bit warm in my case as the airflow isn't optimized for this huge card that generates quite a lot of heat and dumps it right into the case air. It's below 60 C idle so the fans don't spin at all then.

FWIW, I run Siduction with Mesa git.
Shmerl Feb 15, 2021
Good luck, I'm also waiting to buy a new AMD card. It's currently impossible due to severe shortages everywhere.

Last edited by Shmerl on 15 February 2021 at 9:51 pm UTC
Avehicle7887 Feb 16, 2021
Can't comment on 6900XT but I've recently sold my RTX 2060S in favor of an RX 6800 non-xt. Couldn't be happier with the choice, card is very stable and performance is great. Welcome to the red family!

Running Kernel 5.11 and Mesa 21.0.0rc4
wolfyrion Mar 7, 2021
Hi again and thanks for the feeback , it really helped.

I just got the 6900 XT on Friday so I had time to play during the weekend.
This card is really a beast...

The only problem I have is that I use 4 monitors and when monitors go on standby - some of them dont wake up and sometimes it messes the KDE UI since one monitor is not waking up.
if I reeboot is ok , sometimes with arandr I may fix it but is very annoying.
Anyone has a solution for this ??

Thanking you in advance ..
Shmerl Mar 7, 2021
Heh, congrats! I still can't find Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT anywhere.

amdgpu had some wake up bugs recently. Fixed in 5.11.3 and on.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 March 2021 at 11:49 pm UTC
tuubi Mar 8, 2021
Quoting: wolfyrionHi again and thanks for the feeback , it really helped.

I just got the 6900 XT on Friday so I had time to play during the weekend.
This card is really a beast...

The only problem I have is that I use 4 monitors and when monitors go on standby - some of them dont wake up and sometimes it messes the KDE UI since one monitor is not waking up.
if I reeboot is ok , sometimes with arandr I may fix it but is very annoying.
Anyone has a solution for this ??

Thanking you in advance ..
Check if this happens with a 5.10 series kernel if you're on 5.11. I saw a similar problem with my 5700XT and going back to 5.10 fixes it.

EDIT: Oh, looks like it might be fixed in 5.11.3 already, so if you're on that, nevermind. I'll upgrade later today and give it a whirl myself.

EDIT2: 5.11.4 works just fine, so you're probably hitting something else. Assuming your kernel is up to date. But I suppose it's something to do with power management in any case.

Last edited by tuubi on 8 March 2021 at 9:16 am UTC
wolfyrion Mar 8, 2021
I have tested every kernel but still no solution
x_wing Mar 8, 2021
Quoting: wolfyrionI have tested every kernel but still no solution

If arandr does the trick, you may want to create an script with xrandr and add a keyboard shortcut on your DE. I recall using this as a workaround with three monitors in a lenovo dock and it worked flawlessly (I remember that the workaround was to switch to one monitor and back to three - one script + shortcut for each action)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.