Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Want to change distro, how to backup all configuration?
Acrophobic Feb 26, 2021
Hi everyone,

I've been using Manjaro Xfce for so long (2 or 3 years). However, after several last updates my Xfce UI suddenly not really consistent. For example in some modal dialog the buttons are located at the bottom, however for some GTK3 apps the buttons for dialog is bizzarely located at the top. After looking around, I found KDE to be interesting and looks good, both from the development news and its user interface. I also started working and loving on Qt and QML project, so KDE looks like a good place to migrate.

With that said, I want to migrate to Manjaro KDE. However after several years I have a lot of games and IDE configurations so migrating seems like a pain. Fortunately I already separated my home and root partition, so I don't have to backup my data. However, there are still many configuration files in my home partition so I'm not sure (and too lazy) to remove it manually. Are there any tips or tools to make the migration easier?

Thanks!
CatKiller Feb 26, 2021
Since you're using Manjaro, and you want to use Manjaro, why not just install KDE? Then remove the Xfce bits that you don't want any more.
denyasis 8 years Feb 27, 2021
Is agree with cat killer. I'm not sure of any migration tools since the tool won't really know what you want to save without you having to give a lot of manual guidance.
Cyril Feb 28, 2021
Quoting: AcrophobicFor example in some modal dialog the buttons are located at the bottom, however for some GTK3 apps the buttons for dialog is bizzarely located at the top.

If you want to change to KDE because of that, maybe you might try to fix it instead?
Same as you, I didn't like the new buttons dialog, you can fix it by:

- install libxfce4ui-nocsd
- set option DialogsUseHeader to False in Settings Editor > xsettings > Gtk

That's it.
But I second CatKiller too, I don't think it's necessary to reinstall your entire system just because of DE change.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.