You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
ELEX on wine
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
furaxhornyx Mar 6, 2021
Quoting: rojimboo55 degrees celsius is abnormally low for running games

Really ? I currently have a GTX 1070, and I usually reach around this temperature or lower when gaming... Or maybe we are talking about laptops ?
rojimboo Mar 6, 2021
Quoting: furaxhornyx
Quoting: rojimboo55 degrees celsius is abnormally low for running games

Really ? I currently have a GTX 1070, and I usually reach around this temperature or lower when gaming... Or maybe we are talking about laptops ?

What are you using to measure your temps when under load? Not that I don't doubt you, but you must have some pretty good cooling to reach temps like that on the 1070s. Custom watercooling levels maybe, or 3rd party air cooling.

I myself have one of the better ones on the market, MSI gaming X one, with an aggressive custom fan profile (80%@60C) and I still frequently hit 70-85C with good Noctua case cooling to boot. These things just run hot. I know there is a slight stock OC on it, but from my testing it didn't make much of a difference to undervolt it, and the performance hit is not something I enjoy.

benchmarks
furaxhornyx Mar 7, 2021
Quoting: rojimbooWhat are you using to measure your temps when under load? Not that I don't doubt you, but you must have some pretty good cooling to reach temps like that on the 1070s. Custom watercooling levels maybe, or 3rd party air cooling.

I use the GPU temperature report from nVidia X server settings. I had similar temperatures report when I was using Windows 7, so there's no reason that I could doubt the results displayed in nVidia settings panel.

I do not have any custom cooling on my GPU (Asus Strix something, don't have the exact reference at hand), but my case is a (old) Thermaltake, with plenty of space and quite a few cooling fans. No manual overclock, but the GPU might be slightly overclocked fro manufacturer, and the cooling (I checked for you ) is done by 3 fans.
cruc2019 Mar 7, 2021
I used CoreCtrl to measure the temperature. I installed the game through Lutris, but the behaviour remains the same. I installed also the amdgpu-pro driver from the AMD website, but (guess what?!) nothing changed. The thing is I don't get in the game for the fans to behave that way. They start the moment I reach the main menu of the game. And apart from being annoying, I think that this behaviour is not good for the "health" of the fans either.
rojimboo Mar 7, 2021
Quoting: furaxhornyxI use the GPU temperature report from nVidia X server settings.
You mean nvidia-settings gui, under the Thermal Settings tab? You have it open in a separate window or something whilst you game in windowed mode? Or what is your measurement process?

Have you checked your gpu loads at the same time? Ideally you should check temps exactly when the load is high, with an overlay like MangoHUD. If you alt tab then the load goes down, or if the game barely uses any gpu, then the temps are kinda meaningless. I would try it with either MangoHUD after observing for a couple minutes of an intensive gameplay, where the GPU load has been high consistently high for a few minutes (basically most non-indie games for the past few years or a benchmark like Unigine, 3dMark), or simply with 'watch -n 2 nvidia-smi' or anything like that that shows it under current load quickly (in a second monitor or something).

I'm not asking these things because it's a case of 'well FOR ME, things are different' and I hate being shown I'm doing something wrong with my rig. In fact, that would be nice, so that things can improve. I'm saying this because the benchmarks are all reporting above 70C @stock (I linked one), which is exactly what I'm seeing too. 55C or lower under load seems extremely, suspiciously low.

Same thing with OP - 55C is extremely low/impossible for a RX 570 according to reviews, which means we cannot rule out thermal throttling if the temp measurements are wrong:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2884-gigabyte-rx-570-aorus-review-vs-470-580-gtx1060/page-3#:~:text=Starting%20with%20frequency%20versus%20temperature,76C%20under%20a%20torture%20scenario.

edit: weird url stuff, why can't I get it working

Last edited by rojimboo on 7 March 2021 at 9:47 am UTC
furaxhornyx Mar 7, 2021
Quoting: rojimbooYou mean nvidia-settings gui, under the Thermal Settings tab? You have it open in a separate window or
something whilst you game in windowed mode? Or what is your measurement process?

I just checked the temperature under Thermal settings tab you mention, after a few hours of Valheim. Nothing scientific about it, I just wanted to double-check that the GPU temperature was in the range I expected it to be.

To be clear, I don't run benchmarks, I don't monitor my GPU when gaming (only fps counter with Steam overlay), because I usually don't care
(I used to do that under Windows though, typically when upgrading GPU. In all my past checks, I never really went over 55-60°C, more usually around 45-50-ish °C, depending obviously on the game).

Also, keep in mind where are talking about gaming (specifically Elex), not "torture test scnerios" like they usually do on benchmarks.
rojimboo Mar 7, 2021
Quoting: furaxhornyxI just checked the temperature under Thermal settings tab you mention, after a few hours of Valheim. Nothing scientific about it, I just wanted to double-check that the GPU temperature was in the range I expected it to be.
You alt-tabbed to check the temps?

Edit: Actually, I can reproduce this if I check the temps in nvidia-settings after I quit the game. It goes like this:

idle = 45C

load at 100% after 5 minutes of Witcher 3 = 72C (checked in-game with MangoHUD and verified by alt-tabbing in nvidia-settings)

idle after quitting game after around 5seconds = 54C

Needless to say, this does not represent gaming temps and is not useful when trying to determine whether there is thermal throttling or investigating fan behaviour.

Last edited by rojimboo on 7 March 2021 at 11:48 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.