Replacing Ryzen 5 2600 with Ryzen 5 5600X, worth the investment?
Arehandoro Mar 3, 2021
Mainly, what the title says. I'm in search of a better performing CPU without moving from the 65W TDP. I have read several articles, but still haven't made up my mind whether the performance gain is worth the £330 the CPU costs in the UK.

Also, presumably will be the last AM4 CPU, right? Is it better wait for a few months and go for the new generation? Usually, I don't like getting the first generation for a new architecture/socket, and that would require a bigger investment on MoBo, etc.

Regarding compatibility with new 5000 series, my MoBo is a B450 from Asus with the firmware updated to Dec 2020, and according to AMD/Asus there should not be any issues at all.

On a similar note, is it worth spending extra £60 in getting a better cooler than the one that comes with the CPU? I have my eyes on the be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 as it seems it will fit nicely with my small form factor case.

Any ideas, recommendations?

Thanks! :)
minfaer Mar 3, 2021
Whether the upgrade is worth it depends on what you hope to get. Where do you feel the 2600 limiting?

About waiting for the next generation: none of us know already what it will bring. But if you want my prediction: the next socket will most likely come with DDR5 RAM, so you will not be able to reuse your current kit. The new ram will probably be rather expensive in the beginning, and I don't think it will bring that much performance. But again, this is just conjecture.
Arehandoro Mar 4, 2021
Quoting: minfaerWhether the upgrade is worth it depends on what you hope to get. Where do you feel the 2600 limiting?

About waiting for the next generation: none of us know already what it will bring. But if you want my prediction: the next socket will most likely come with DDR5 RAM, so you will not be able to reuse your current kit. The new ram will probably be rather expensive in the beginning, and I don't think it will bring that much performance. But again, this is just conjecture.

I'm expecting to get some extra FPS in some CPU bound games, and reduce the impact of using WINE/Proton games.

Thanks for the answer though.
x_wing Mar 5, 2021
I suggest you to wait until Intel 11th gen is released. CPU market is still well stocked and depending on next gen Intel performance, AMD prices may get reduced.
Arehandoro Mar 6, 2021
Quoting: x_wingI suggest you to wait until Intel 11th gen is released. CPU market is still well stocked and depending on next gen Intel performance, AMD prices may get reduced.

That's a good idea... if yesterday I had not gone and bought it in an impulse xD
minfaer Mar 6, 2021
And it seems that was the right choice
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake

Though hopefully, there will still be some improvements with final bios and so on.
x_wing Mar 6, 2021
Quoting: ArehandoroThat's a good idea... if yesterday I had not gone and bought it in an impulse xD

No worries, two months ago happened the same to me with the 5900X. No regrets though.

Quoting: minfaerAnd it seems that was the right choice
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake

Though hopefully, there will still be some improvements with final bios and so on.

Aff, those numbers are kinda sad. I was expecting at least a match on clock by clock with Ryzen.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.