Join us on the Linux Gaming community on Lemmy, the federated open source alternative to Reddit.
"Your PC information hasn't been updated in a few months - be sure to keep it up to date! "
Page: 1/6»
  Go to:
That's because you can't buy any new hardware! Damn you scalpers / miners! Damn you silicon shortages! And SCREW YOU 2020!

Anyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months? I've had to resort to swapping video cards around a few times, as I re-built another tower out of my last gen parts for a 2nd VR set up.

Yeah I know, 1st world problems!
Hamish 2 Apr
Strangely enough I have actually upgraded both my GPU and CPU over the past year, but that is because my brother gave me his second hand parts. It is not like I run the latest hardware to begin with...
Ha, yeah my upgrades usually go to my desktop, then my newly created VR box downstairs, then to my server, then to my brother.
vv221 2 Apr
Quoting: slaapliedjeAnyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months?

New hard drives (8TB and 1TB) and extra RAM here (from 8GB to 18GB), most of it second hand of course.
Quoting: vv221
Quoting: slaapliedjeAnyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months?

New hard drives (8TB and 1TB) and extra RAM here (from 8GB to 18GB), most of it second hand of course.
I'm so pissed. So I screwed up one night while trying to play with NetBSD on my Atari TT030, and accidentally wrote a 32mb disk image on top of my 3tb drive I had a bunch of random shit on. So bought another hard drive (6tb) to image it before I did anything else and try to recover it, but of course then I ended up having to get an even larger drive...

Well long story short, after I recovered a bunch of stuff to an enxternal 8tb drive I bought, now I can barely mount the thing before it starts spewing I/O errors... Gonna have to format it... luckily I managed still to recover most of the files. I highly recommend R-Studio for Linux :)
vv221 2 Apr
Quoting: slaapliedjeI highly recommend R-Studio for Linux :)
I don’t think I ever heard of that software.
Is it some alternative to TestDisk and PhotoRec?
No need to upgrade lately. Somewhat paradoxically, I find my usage requirements going in a downward trend as I learn more and more about digital tech.
It is a commercial product. Saw it on Linus Tech Tips when he was talking about Data Recovery. Noticed they had a native Linux version and bought it. Funny enough in my restoration attempts, I ended up buying the Windows version as well to test out a bug I found in the Linux version, then was asking on their forums something, and holy crap they are scary knowledgeable about disk layout and data recovery! Highly recommended!
Quoting: GustyGhostNo need to upgrade lately. Somewhat paradoxically, I find my usage requirements going in a downward trend as I learn more and more about digital tech.
I like pushing my system in weird and wonderful ways. And to play with new tech (VR being the main drive for better hardware these days).
I think that in a few months mining fever will be gone, it's just mathematics, mining difficulty has like tripled since last year, if the trend continues imho in six months this will be over just saying.

And about your other question yes!! I was able to buy a 5600 xt for 300 usd last year! I was very lucky! because now I'm seeing them at 800usd
( this is just f.. crazy )

and a lot of people told me I should wait for Navi 2... lucky I didn't listen
but this was like in October just a little earlier than when the mining fever started .

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 3 April 2021 at 2:39 am UTC
damarrin 3 Apr
Quoting: slaapliedje
It is a commercial product. Saw it on Linus Tech Tips when he was talking about Data Recovery. Noticed they had a native Linux version and bought it. Funny enough in my restoration attempts, I ended up buying the Windows version as well to test out a bug I found in the Linux version, then was asking on their forums something, and holy crap they are scary knowledgeable about disk layout and data recovery! Highly recommended!

This got me out of a very tight spot a few years back.

I just put a SteamOS image on a USB to put on a newly assembled computer and thought “let me just restart to see if it boots” and did that. As it was rebooting I went to check the bios settings in the new machine and when I came back it turned out it had booted, wiped the drive in my main machine and started installing itself.

Testdisk was unable to do anything sensible so I went looking for alternatives and found R-Studio. It recovered almost all of the data, with the exception of stuff that was actually overwritten.

So yeah, highly recommended when other stuff fails.

Last edited by damarrin on 3 April 2021 at 5:12 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.