You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
"Your PC information hasn't been updated in a few months - be sure to keep it up to date! "
Page: 1/8»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Apr 2, 2021
That's because you can't buy any new hardware! Damn you scalpers / miners! Damn you silicon shortages! And SCREW YOU 2020!

Anyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months? I've had to resort to swapping video cards around a few times, as I re-built another tower out of my last gen parts for a 2nd VR set up.

Yeah I know, 1st world problems!
Hamish Apr 2, 2021
Strangely enough I have actually upgraded both my GPU and CPU over the past year, but that is because my brother gave me his second hand parts. It is not like I run the latest hardware to begin with...
slaapliedje Apr 2, 2021
Ha, yeah my upgrades usually go to my desktop, then my newly created VR box downstairs, then to my server, then to my brother.
slaapliedje Apr 2, 2021
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: slaapliedjeAnyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months?

New hard drives (8TB and 1TB) and extra RAM here (from 8GB to 18GB), most of it second hand of course.
I'm so pissed. So I screwed up one night while trying to play with NetBSD on my Atari TT030, and accidentally wrote a 32mb disk image on top of my 3tb drive I had a bunch of random shit on. So bought another hard drive (6tb) to image it before I did anything else and try to recover it, but of course then I ended up having to get an even larger drive...

Well long story short, after I recovered a bunch of stuff to an enxternal 8tb drive I bought, now I can barely mount the thing before it starts spewing I/O errors... Gonna have to format it... luckily I managed still to recover most of the files. I highly recommend R-Studio for Linux :)
GustyGhost Apr 3, 2021
No need to upgrade lately. Somewhat paradoxically, I find my usage requirements going in a downward trend as I learn more and more about digital tech.
slaapliedje Apr 3, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedjeI highly recommend R-Studio for Linux :)
I don’t think I ever heard of that software.
Is it some alternative to TestDisk and PhotoRec?
It is a commercial product. Saw it on Linus Tech Tips when he was talking about Data Recovery. Noticed they had a native Linux version and bought it. Funny enough in my restoration attempts, I ended up buying the Windows version as well to test out a bug I found in the Linux version, then was asking on their forums something, and holy crap they are scary knowledgeable about disk layout and data recovery! Highly recommended!
slaapliedje Apr 3, 2021
Quoting: GustyGhostNo need to upgrade lately. Somewhat paradoxically, I find my usage requirements going in a downward trend as I learn more and more about digital tech.
I like pushing my system in weird and wonderful ways. And to play with new tech (VR being the main drive for better hardware these days).
Koopacabras Apr 3, 2021
I think that in a few months mining fever will be gone, it's just mathematics, mining difficulty has like tripled since last year, if the trend continues imho in six months this will be over just saying.

And about your other question yes!! I was able to buy a 5600 xt for 300 usd last year! I was very lucky! because now I'm seeing them at 800usd
( this is just f.. crazy )

and a lot of people told me I should wait for Navi 2... lucky I didn't listen
but this was like in October just a little earlier than when the mining fever started .

Last edited by Koopacabras on 3 April 2021 at 2:39 am UTC
damarrin Apr 3, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: slaapliedjeI highly recommend R-Studio for Linux :)
I don’t think I ever heard of that software.
Is it some alternative to TestDisk and PhotoRec?
It is a commercial product. Saw it on Linus Tech Tips when he was talking about Data Recovery. Noticed they had a native Linux version and bought it. Funny enough in my restoration attempts, I ended up buying the Windows version as well to test out a bug I found in the Linux version, then was asking on their forums something, and holy crap they are scary knowledgeable about disk layout and data recovery! Highly recommended!

This got me out of a very tight spot a few years back.

I just put a SteamOS image on a USB to put on a newly assembled computer and thought “let me just restart to see if it boots” and did that. As it was rebooting I went to check the bios settings in the new machine and when I came back it turned out it had booted, wiped the drive in my main machine and started installing itself.

Testdisk was unable to do anything sensible so I went looking for alternatives and found R-Studio. It recovered almost all of the data, with the exception of stuff that was actually overwritten.

So yeah, highly recommended when other stuff fails.

Last edited by damarrin on 3 April 2021 at 5:12 am UTC
Liam Dawe Apr 3, 2021
I also really need to do some upgrading, I'm constantly out of disk space due to having so many games installed. Want to replace my older plain HDDs with some nice SSDs eventually :)

Really though, I think my next true upgrade will be moving from my ridiculously overpriced Intel CPU to a modern AMD CPU.
Samsai Apr 3, 2021
This reminded me that I actually needed to update my PC info. Upgraded from a temperamental, early-production Ryzen 7 1700 to an R7 3700X and swapped out the 2133 MHz RAM for 3000 MHz. Now my CPU can hold steady at 3.7 GHz all-core with heavy compile workloads without having to up the voltage to keep the system stable. I probably should have RMA'd the 1700 when I had the chance and probably wouldn't have needed to make this interim upgrade, but the 3700X should function pretty decently into the future, and I'm nowhere close to extracting the maximum speed out of it yet either. Next upgrade will probably be an after-market cooler to get the CPU to 4.0 GHz and beyond.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.