Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
"Your PC information hasn't been updated in a few months - be sure to keep it up to date! "
Page: «2/8»
  Go to:
furaxhornyx Apr 3, 2021
Quoting: slaapliedjeAnyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months?

After being looking to upgrade my rather old I7-4790k with a Ryzen 5900x, I finally got impatient and ordered a 5800x instead... Can't wait to receive it
kibasnowpaw Apr 3, 2021
A few months how long is that. I got my GPU in 2020 I have a 2070 super and im happy with it I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon even if the scalpers died.
denyasis Apr 3, 2021
Hopefully 2021 will be better for you with hardware.

I upgraded, well a completely new build, in fall 2018. It replaced my 10 year old gaming machine.

I think I can probably wait out the mining craze for another 4-5 years. I've found that with some tweaking, it'll running anything you throw at it for that long. Maybe not at max settings, but that's ok. Can't really tell with a 1080p monitor anyway (upgraded from my 1024).

I'd love to upgrade more frequently, but it's so expensive. How do you all manage it?
Liam Dawe Apr 3, 2021
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Liam DaweI also really need to do some upgrading, I'm constantly out of disk space due to having so many games installed. Want to replace my older plain HDDs with some nice SSDs eventually :)

Out of curiosity, how does your setup look like on this front?

Here I used to often saturate my 250GB SSD with games, but now that I moved /home out of the way to a dedicated hard drive it is far more than enough to keep all the games I’m currently playing, with a lot of extra space to run tests with other games.

Of course, DRM-free archives are going onto another dedicated hard drive. This is the one I had to upgrade from 4TB to 8TB lately
My boot and home is all on a 248gb SSD, the rest split across two 2TB HDDs which are constantly full.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 3 April 2021 at 4:00 pm UTC
Hooly Apr 3, 2021
Quoting: furaxhornyx
Quoting: slaapliedjeAnyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months?

After being looking to upgrade my rather old I7-4790k with a Ryzen 5900x, I finally got impatient and ordered a 5800x instead... Can't wait to receive it

Have fun with the 5800X, it's a very nice CPU. With PBO it boosts up to 4.85 GHz on single-core loads.
Also, with all cores being on the same CCX and sharing one unified L3 Cache, you avoid most of the infamous fabric latency.

Keep in mind though, that it doesn't come with a stock cooler.
furaxhornyx Apr 3, 2021
Quoting: Hooly
Quoting: furaxhornyx

Have fun with the 5800X, it's a very nice CPU. With PBO it boosts up to 4.85 GHz on single-core loads.
Also, with all cores being on the same CCX and sharing one unified L3 Cache, you avoid most of the infamous fabric latency.

Keep in mind though, that it doesn't come with a stock cooler.

Yes, I know, I ordered a Dark Rock 4, along with some Grizzly Hydronaut thermal paste, which I didn't heard of before, but seemed to be decent
HerrLange Apr 5, 2021
I actually bought a lot of hardware end of last year.

For myself:
I had luck and got a Radeon 6900xt directly from amd.com for about 900€ where the custom designs nowadays retails for about 1500-1600€. The market is absolutely crazy.
Also I got a Ryzen R7 5800x at launch day from a german retailer who is AMD partner and sold the first batch for the recommended AMD price. Currently I‘m waiting for the 5900xt as I originally wanted to have a 5900x. But I‘m not sure AMD will release one as intels 11000er are less strong than expected.

Also I build a gamin rig for my daughter/son. Therefore I got an intel 10400f for about 130€ and a Radeon 5600xt for about 330€. The 5600xt was already overpriced that point in time, but looking at prices know I‘m glad i did buy it last year.

I really hope that this crypto bubble will implode. Not only becuase of HW costs but mainly because it is an environmental desaster and just insane. Also it has moved away from beeing a currency to a pure speculation object. Besides speculation and criminal activities there is no practical use for them. Secondly many crypto coins are poorly implemented and therefore a thread for the owner.
slaapliedje Apr 5, 2021
Quoting: HerrLangeI actually bought a lot of hardware end of last year.

For myself:
I had luck and got a Radeon 6900xt directly from amd.com for about 900€ where the custom designs nowadays retails for about 1500-1600€. The market is absolutely crazy.
Also I got a Ryzen R7 5800x at launch day from a german retailer who is AMD partner and sold the first batch for the recommended AMD price. Currently I‘m waiting for the 5900xt as I originally wanted to have a 5900x. But I‘m not sure AMD will release one as intels 11000er are less strong than expected.

Also I build a gamin rig for my daughter/son. Therefore I got an intel 10400f for about 130€ and a Radeon 5600xt for about 330€. The 5600xt was already overpriced that point in time, but looking at prices know I‘m glad i did buy it last year.

I really hope that this crypto bubble will implode. Not only becuase of HW costs but mainly because it is an environmental desaster and just insane. Also it has moved away from beeing a currency to a pure speculation object. Besides speculation and criminal activities there is no practical use for them. Secondly many crypto coins are poorly implemented and therefore a thread for the owner.
Yeah, I told myself I'd wait, I should have tried right at the beginning, would probably have had more luck. But I wasn't trying to build my second machine just then. Wasn't until later I decided that I may as well pimp out a second machine so I can have two VR setups.

Oh well, live and learn! The prices are so ridiculous now, the 2080 I have in my system is a 2 year old card, but people are selling it for 1k-1.5k...
Koopacabras Apr 5, 2021
I currently want to buy a 27 inch monitor 1440p, but I'm not sure what to do, here in my country (argentina) there seems to be supply chains problems because I've seen them increase a lot in months.... I supposed that monitor were kind of the question here. What do you guys recommend? maybe in the future this begins to normalize
x_wing Apr 5, 2021
Quoting: The_AquabatI currently want to buy a 27 inch monitor 1440p, but I'm not sure what to do, here in my country (argentina) there seems to be supply chains problems because I've seen them increase a lot in months.... I supposed that monitor were kind of the question here. What do you guys recommend? maybe in the future this begins to normalize

During the first months of the pandemic the monitors prices went nuts. Everyone was trying to buy one (or a laptop). Right now the prices are kinda "normalized" for mainstream monitors but whatever has the "gamer" label on them are still slightly expensive IMO.

With this said, the best offer I can find for you is this: https://compragamer.com/producto/Monitor_Gamer_HDC_27_HM_27WQ_2K_144Hz_TN_HDMI_DP_11408?seccion=3&destacados=1&nro_max=50&cate=5

But bare in mind that it's a TN panel. If I were you, I would go for a 23"/24" 1080p 75Hs Panel (a little over the half of the price of this monitor). My two cents.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.