Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Your next/last game purchase?
Page: «3/9»
  Go to:
tweakedenigma Sep 1, 2010
Re: Your next planned game purchase?

Quoting: Hamish
Quoting: MaximBI admit that when I was a Windows user I was a huge game "pirate", but GNU/Linux cured me so much that I sometimes buy games that I almost never play afterward just to show support.

And yet many Windows users still believe that, since we use a free operating system, Linux users will never buy games or any other software legitimately. There is actually a move in India at the moment where the management of IT firms and the like want to switch to Linux just to show that they are actually using legitimate software, since software piracy is practically endemic in South Asia. So if you use Windows it is naturally assumed that you pirated it.

To true, most Linux and Mac users I have met over the years are not pirates. They both seem more likely to pay for things. I believe there are vastly different reasons for this, but its almost always my Windows using friends that Pirate stuff.
MaximB Sep 2, 2010

Quoting: tweakedenigma
Quoting: Hamish
Quoting: MaximBI admit that when I was a Windows user I was a huge game "pirate", but GNU/Linux cured me so much that I sometimes buy games that I almost never play afterward just to show support.

And yet many Windows users still believe that, since we use a free operating system, Linux users will never buy games or any other software legitimately. There is actually a move in India at the moment where the management of IT firms and the like want to switch to Linux just to show that they are actually using legitimate software, since software piracy is practically endemic in South Asia. So if you use Windows it is naturally assumed that you pirated it.

To true, most Linux and Mac users I have met over the years are not pirates. They both seem more likely to pay for things. I believe there are vastly different reasons for this, but its almost always my Windows using friends that Pirate stuff.

Here in Israel if you don't buy a laptop, you usually get a PC without an OS - and then you install a pirated version of Windows (or ask the store to do it, most of them will install a pirated software).
But 99% off the laptops come with Windows so here we are legal.

As I was a big pirate I really understand the Windows users who pirate stuff - when you got so much choice in gaming, and you can't buy all games but wanna try them all (try the full version), then you just pirate stuff.- - not to mention that most of them are students and doesn't have any income.
Frankly that's what I do now with my PS2, there are zillion of games out there, and none really worth it's price - not here where the console games are overpriced - so I download ISO's of PS2 games and try them , 90% of the games that I try for PS2, I never play again, the other 10% while fun, are really don't worth their price here.
So yeah, I really saved myself a lot of money for games I never played again.

But with GNU/Linux things are very different - there is little choice and sometimes you feel the need to support those who support you.
Pyux Sep 8, 2010

heroes of newerth and start paying for either ryzom subscription or my dofus subscription again :)
Rustybolts Sep 8, 2010

Quoting: Rustyboltsmy next planned purchase will be Eschalon book 3 when it is made. I am sure I will buy something else before it though as and when games become available.

Looks like Amnesia will be my next purchase before Eschalon book 3 i said there would be something else! 8-)
tweakedenigma Sep 8, 2010

Quoting: Rustybolts
Quoting: Rustyboltsmy next planned purchase will be Eschalon book 3 when it is made. I am sure I will buy something else before it though as and when games become available.

Looks like Amnesia will be my next purchase before Eschalon book 3 i said there would be something else! 8-)

I ended up Buying Caster. There is always something else that shows up.
Rustybolts Sep 8, 2010

Caster great game just a little short. Would of been really good if it had more levels and weapon upgrades had been dragged on for longer to coincide with this.
I know a episode 2 is supposed to be released at some point, but weapons/ abilities are already maxed out during the first episode.
Well worth the money though while it lasts. ;)
KIAaze Sep 8, 2010

Nothing certain, but the following are good candidates:
-Amnesia
-And yet it moves
-Eschalon books
-Machinarium (or have I already bought it? Need to check. ^^' Haven't played it since finishing the demo, that's for sure.)

Or perhaps one of the ported commercial games from tuxgames&co...

In any case, I still haven't bought starcraft 2 (the only Windows game I was eventually planning to buy) and am not planning to for the moment. It looks like there are more then enough GNU/Linux games to occupy me for a while. I still have a whole humble bundle to finish for one. :)

Bought (hoping I didn't forget anything):
-Uplink
-Defcon
-Darwinia
-Penumbra trilogy
-World of Goo
-Aquaria
-Gish
-Lugaru
-Samorost 2
-Robin Hood, Legend of Sherwood
-Jagged Alliance 2
-Osmos
-Machinarium (not sure at the moment as I said)

Games of those finished:
-Uplink
-Lugaru (with some cheating)
-Samorost 2 (not sure, maybe just samorost 1)

Defcon is unfinishable, but also very buggy under GNU/Linux unfortunately.
MaximB Sep 9, 2010

This new http://fun4tux.ch shop is very cheap if you don't mind buying used games in German of French (but the game data is in English and that what counts for me).

Ordered 5 games a few days ago (he finally allowed to order outside Europe), although I already have some of the illegally, I wanted to go legit ;)

Hope it arrives in 1-2 weeks.
KIAaze Sep 9, 2010

Looks much cheaper than tuxgames indeed. Thanks. :)
(I never bought anything from tuxgames so far actually. I used [url="http://www.linux-onlineshop.de/"]http://www.linux-onlineshop.de/[/url] for Robin Hood and Jagged alliance 2 and the rest directly from the creators except for the humble bundle).

I'll add the following to my list of potential games to buy:
-Ankh series
-Jack Keane
-Cold war
-Civilization
-Doom 3
-Medal of Honor
-Prey
-Multiwinia
-Caster

Note: So far, I had a much less bugs in indie games than with "commercial titles". :roll:
Probably because most indie devs start developing in a cross-platform way directly now. Or just because they are more recent.
The worst offender is jagged alliance 2, where the open-source engine works better than the binary I got with the CD!
Hamish Sep 9, 2010

The Jagged Alliance 2 Linux port unfortunately died a quick death due to the closure of Tribsoft. Thank god that the original developer had the sense to later release the source code.

I would also be careful about buying Medal of Honour if I were you. The client is still very much a beta, and that is not likely to change any time soon. The rest should be fairly solid ports (I know Doom 3 is, never played the others), though Runesoft (Ankh and Jack Keane) has a reputation of being a little sloppy when it comes to squashing bugs. But then again, those games are powered by OGRE, which is a free software cross platform engine. So you should be fine I guess.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.