Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition crashes on launch with Proton
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Itagane Aug 26, 2021
@whizse The launch command you suggested yields only 10 lines long logs. Do I maybe need to use the user_settings.py file that is mentioned in the Proton README you linked earlier?
whizse Aug 26, 2021
Quoting: Itagane@whizse The launch command you suggested yields only 10 lines long logs. Do I maybe need to use the user_settings.py file that is mentioned in the Proton README you linked earlier?
Give it a try!
tuxintuxedo Aug 26, 2021
I meant that you are using Pop OS 21.04, which is a short lived (9 months) and kind of experimental OS version. LTS versions, based on 20.04 are supported for 5 years and are quite sturdy.
Itagane Aug 26, 2021
I enabled everything that's related to logging in the user_settings.py file but the log remains short:
======================
Proton: 1629748146 proton-6.3-6c
SteamGameId: 813780
Command: ['/home/itagane/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/AoE2DE/AoE2DE_s.exe']
Options: {'forcelgadd', 'wined3d'}
depot: 0.20210723.18
pressure-vessel: 0.20210722.0
scripts: v0.20210722.0-0-gb142f90
soldier: 0.20210719.0 soldier 0.20210719.0
User settings WINEDEBUG: +timestamp,+pid,+tid,+seh,+debugstr,+loaddll,+mscoree
======================
whizse Aug 27, 2021
This one got me stumped, not sure what's going on.

Best advice I can give is to ask for help in the GitHub bug report mentioned previously. The problem with the logs is a separate issue, but my gut feeling for the problem with the game is that your GPUs are most likely simply too old.
Itagane Aug 27, 2021
The weird log issue aside, I'm also afraid that my hardware is just too old for the game in question. Guess I'll just go back to Factorio. Thanks for trying to help though!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.