Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Gnome 2 like wayland distro?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Guppy Nov 18, 2021
I normally use Linux mint Cinnamon, how ever of late I keep running into the wall of "thats only possible in wayland, not X"

So I'm wondering if there is any distros out there that is stable enough for everyday work use that is wayland based and that is at least gnome 2 like ?

From my own research ( read; casual googling )

- Gnome 41 is trying to even ban themes, and the default is trying to be OSX
- KDE might be an option, I'd have to switch away from all gtk based apps I'm currently using?
- Cinnamon can't be bothered with wayland as they dont belive it's a mature project

so that leaves what.. ?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
tuubi Nov 18, 2021
I don't see why you'd have to stop using your GTK apps if you switch to KDE, any more than Cinnamon stops you from running Qt apps.
GustyGhost Nov 18, 2021
I just checked the Cinnamon repo. They have an issue for Wayland status that was last updated in 2018. It will be great once this Wayland transition is properly behind us.
PublicNuisance Nov 18, 2021
Quoting: GuppyI normally use Linux mint Cinnamon, how ever of late I keep running into the wall of "thats only possible in wayland, not X"

So I'm wondering if there is any distros out there that is stable enough for everyday work use that is wayland based and that is at least gnome 2 like ?

From my own research ( read; casual googling )

- Gnome 41 is trying to even ban themes, and the default is trying to be OSX
- KDE might be an option, I'd have to switch away from all gtk based apps I'm currently using?
- Cinnamon can't be bothered with wayland as they dont belive it's a mature project

so that leaves what.. ?

Mate is based off of Gnome and has some support for Wayland. I'd give it a try.
Guppy Nov 18, 2021
Quoting: tuubiI don't see why you'd have to stop using your GTK apps if you switch to KDE, any more than Cinnamon stops you from running Qt apps.

I don't know - last i tired KDE it looked like windows xp on drugs and installing something that pulled in gtk packages I broke the distro so basly I had to do a reinstall.

Guess I'm asking if there is usable interoperability between gtk/gnome apps and KDE theese days 😁
GustyGhost Nov 18, 2021
I find that some packages have a package_name-qt build. I would try those wherever possible.
wvstolzing Nov 19, 2021
Quoting: Guppy
Quoting: tuubiI don't see why you'd have to stop using your GTK apps if you switch to KDE, any more than Cinnamon stops you from running Qt apps.

I don't know - last i tired KDE it looked like windows xp on drugs and installing something that pulled in gtk packages I broke the distro so basly I had to do a reinstall.

Guess I'm asking if there is usable interoperability between gtk/gnome apps and KDE theese days 😁

Both Qt & GTK do a pretty good job of emulating (or rather adapting) the other's look nowadays, as long as you don't stray from the *default* themes (Breeze for KDE/Qt; Adwaita for GNOME/GTK). You may have to install an extra package (e.g. on Fedora, libadwaita-qt{5,6}; and breeze-gtk); but there's no additional setup to do. (As usual, on KDE you *can* tweak things if you like.)

Last edited by wvstolzing on 19 November 2021 at 12:58 am UTC
denyasis 8 years Nov 19, 2021
Yeah, I've mixed and matched GTK and Qt apps on both KDE and XFCE.
The only complaint I can imagine is that depending on the app it might bring in a ton of dependencies, or it might not totally match the system theme/style perfectly.

It's there a specific gtk app you can't live without? KDE had a very robust array of apps. I find the general ones pretty similar in terms of features.

There's a thread here talking about Wayland ready DE's (there aren't many) and another talking about a bug with KDE's Wayland, FYI.
Guppy Nov 19, 2021
Quoting: denyasisIt's there a specific gtk app you can't live without? KDE had a very robust array of apps. I find the general ones pretty similar in terms of features.

having recently done a complete reinstall I've a fairly good overview over which programs I absolutely need to do my job - the rest being the "suger on top" which could conceivably be replaced by something else;

• network-manager-fortisslvpn-gnome, it's "just" a frontend for openfortivpn but not having to muck about on the command line when connecting to the various company nets is golden.

• geany - even though I use vscode for 90% of my work, you can beat geany for working with very large files

• Gimp

• Darktable

🤔 I honestly expected the list to be a whole lot longer

Before I pull the 1 gig of data kde-full requires to have it as an alternative desktop on mint, is there a significant difference between KDE 5.18 and 5.23 ?

I'd prefer to avoid another complete reinstall, but on the other hand if wayland/pirewire/etc is only fully supported in 5.23 then there isn't much point in wasting time with an 'older' version ;)
mr-victory Nov 19, 2021
Quoting: GuppyBefore I pull the 1 gig of data kde-full requires to have it as an alternative desktop on mint
I would not recommend installing KDE on Linux Mint. Using openSUSE might be easier because it supports multiple DEs on one system. Or you might try a DIY distro like Arch, Gentoo or Slackware.
Quoting: GuppyI'd prefer to avoid another complete reinstall
Then create an external backup with Timeshift. If sonething breaks, restore from backup and continue as if nothing has happened!
Quoting: GuppyKDE 5.18 and 5.23
There are some differences between the two, it is worth trying.
I am currently on KDE with wayland and I mix GTK apps (Firefox, LibreOffice), Qt apps and an app from Enlightenment (Terminology). Only problem I had was GTK apps opening with ~25 sec delay which was resolved by uninstalling xdg-desktop-portal.
denyasis 8 years Nov 19, 2021
Quoting: mr-victoryI would not recommend installing KDE on Linux Mint. Using openSUSE might be easier because it supports multiple DEs on one system. Or you might try a DIY distro like Arch, Gentoo or Slackware.

Not to hijavk this thread to much, but could you explain your reasoning behind this? I've not used mint in a long long time, but shouldn't the season be an option when logging in on the DM? I'm genuinely curious.

Quoting: GuppyBefore I pull the 1 gig of data kde-full requires to have it as an alternative desktop on mint, is there a significant difference between KDE 5.18 and 5.23 ?

I must confess I'm on a different distro, which is rolling, so I have the newest version. If you're able to get it, that's what I would use. Wayland in KDE isn't perfect, so a newer version should have better support.

I'm also sure you know this, but just to throw it out there, KDE has a ton of... Suite programs (?). If your looking for a small install, it might be worth making sure apt isn't pulling in "recommends" or "suggested". I literally had to blacklist the zypper equivalent of meta packages, because it wanted to pull in a ton of extra KDE apps I did not need.

I do know GIMP works fine in KDE. It was installed by default on my system.

Last edited by denyasis on 19 November 2021 at 4:03 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.