Bioshock Infinite update breaks game.
M@GOid Sep 2, 2022
Oh God, another launcher, another headache. The latest update inserted the 2K launcher nobody was asking for, and now the Linux version of the game does not work.

I saw the update coming, but before applying it I visited the Steam forum to check what it was about. Now I'am desperately trying to find a way to stop the update in my install, but looks like next time I launch it I will have to download the goddamn thing.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/8870/discussions/0/3430075523239486196/
damarrin Sep 3, 2022
Hmm, it works for me on the SD. New installation, Proton Experimental.

No launcher, though it does try to connect to 2K network on the main menu. I think that’s new.
aayushkm52 Sep 3, 2022
Has the remaster improved since it was released? I remember people complaining that it still had problems present in the original game.
M@GOid Sep 3, 2022
Quoting: damarrinHmm, it works for me on the SD. New installation, Proton Experimental.

No launcher, though it does try to connect to 2K network on the main menu. I think that’s new.

Bioshock Infinity does have a native Linux port. That is the one that broke.
M@GOid Sep 3, 2022
Quoting: aayushkm52Has the remaster improved since it was released? I remember people complaining that it still had problems present in the original game.

I'm playing the original.
damarrin Sep 3, 2022
Quoting: M@GOid
Quoting: damarrinHmm, it works for me on the SD. New installation, Proton Experimental.

Bioshock Infinity does have a native Linux port. That is the one that broke.

In the linked thread people on Windows can’t start the game either.
tfk Sep 3, 2022
Bioshock 2 Remastered got a "quality of life" update too. With a launcher. On my desktop it showed the launcher.

Its really a quality of life update for 2K's wallet.

The bypass is simple. See it as a quality of life's quality of life fix:

Just copy over the Bioshock2HD.exe from <gamedir>/Build/Final/ to <gamedir>/2KLauncher/ and then rename LauncherPatcher.exe to something else. Lastly rename LauncherPatcher.exe to Bioshock2HD.exe.

Making a symbolic link doesn't work BTW.

Thanks to 2K for making this game Deck unfriendly.

Glad to see that there were some people in the Steam forums mentioning the above. Including the Deck compatibility.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.