A small but interesting Steam Deck update available in Beta and Preview, which you can try out right now. To try it out hit the Steam button, got to Settings > System and change the Steam Update Channel to either Beta or Preview. You can revert it to Stable any time.
Here's what's new as of August 26th:
- Fixed scrolling on home recommended screen due to discovery queue
- Fixed issue where What's New section was not populated properly
- Replaced the Big Picture configurator in desktop mode with a windowed view of the new Configurator. This currently only applies to desktop mode on Steam Deck.
- Improve styling of command names
- Fix bug w/ renaming "Move By Amount" mouse bindings
- Fix action set layers not carrying through Gamepad triggers outputs from button bindings
I went to test out the new Configurator in desktop mode, but all I'm still seeing (using Preview) is the original Big Picture styled configurator so I'm not entirely clear where Valve has actually changed that or if it's just not working as they expect. Beta / Preview for a reason after all. Updated: it doesn't use the new configurator for the main Steam controller settings, but it does work for games directly.
Update: on August 27th, Valve put up another small Beta / Preview update that includes:
- Improve touch menu cursor performance and responsiveness
- Fix regression w/ Touch Menu transparency from August 18th Beta client
- Change navigation of controller command buttons to keep your current selected column when scrolling
- Fix issue with Nintendo Switch Controller glyphs on the On-Screen Keyboard