Something that has proven to be quite divisive in the Linux community for KDE Plasma users is single or double-click to open something, as Plasma 6 will default to double-click.
It will still be configurable of course, but it's a change that has people split with lots of posts across social media arguing about it. Me though? I'm happy about it! Single click to open just seemed like such an odd default to have. Especially so for people coming from Windows, which as we all know is the most used desktop platform - for such a small thing, it just makes sense to match the behaviour there.
On top of that, Plasma 6 will also have touchpads have tap to click turned on by default now that touchpads aren't as bad as they were 9 years ago when the original decision was made.
Another big change is how bug reporting happens when apps crash on Plasma, with it being much more simplified with an option to report the issues automatically. So you won't even need to sign up for a Bugzilla account, bugs get reported quicker and hopefully this will means bugs get solved faster.
There's so much more the KDE team have been doing for Plasma lately, here's some highlights:
- Keyboard brightness level on many laptops now shows an on-screen display for the change.
- When toggling keyboard backlight off / on it now remembers the original brightness level.
- Minimum screen brightness now set to 1 so you can't accidentally turn it off.
- Dolphin’s settings window has gotten an overhaul to re-arrange things to be more logical.
- Starting a Plasma Wayland session in VirtualBox is now more reliable.
- They fixed the ability to monitor NVIDIA GPUs using System Monitor, and improving compatibility with multi-GPU setups (Plasma 5.27.8).
- System Settings' minimum window size is now smaller, fitting better into low-resolution 1366×768 screens with thick panels.
- Plasma Wayland improvements like keeping copied text from XWayland apps after it quits.
What do you think to all the changes coming to Plasma 6? Is there something you're particularly pleased or displeased with coming to Plasma 6?