GE-Proton 8-2 is the latest release of the community-made version of Proton, the translation layer from Valve for Steam Deck and Linux desktop. As a reminder: this is the version of Proton made and supported by the community, for the times where it may work better than the official Valve Proton, but it comes with less testing and may have its own issues. See more in my Steam Play and Proton guide.
Here's what's changed in GE-Proton 8-2:
- wine updated to bleeding edge
- dxvk updated to latest git
- vkd3d-proton updated to latest git
- dxvk-nvapi updated to latest git
- flicker issue fixed in MH Rise
- Shatterline working again
- missing stub backported from wine 8.5 to fix chromium, gameglass
- fixup for daedalic games protonfixes (they were in the wrong folder, thanks marianoag)
- protonfix added for Conception PLUS
- instructions added for steam snap installation in readme (thanks baa14453)
- flatpak url updated in readme (thanks benaryorg)
- dxvk-nvapi game-specific enablements updated from upstream proton
- steam client update from upstream proton
Text Guide to install GE-Proton:
- Desktop: head to the official website, scroll down and pick your favourite download option either AppImage or Flathub.
- Steam Deck: simply download ProtonUp-Qt from Discover in Desktop Mode (Steam Button -> Power - Switch to Desktop).
- Load ProtonUp-Qt.
- Make sure it's set to Steam at the top and select to install GE-Proton.
- Reload Steam to update the compatibility layer list.
- In Steam:
- Desktop: right click a game and go to Properties.
- Steam Deck: find the game in your library, go to the little COG on the right and then select Properties.
- Compatibility menu -> Tick the box, select GE-Proton from the drop-down
Video of how to do it on Steam Deck:
YouTube videos require cookies, you must accept their cookies to view. View cookie preferences.
Some you may have missed, popular articles from the last month:
No comments yet!
See more from me