Favourite Linux IDE?
Page: «7/9»
  Go to:
verts Oct 24, 2018
Mainly I work with JS in Atom or PHPStorm. Their functionality is enough for me, especially since PHPStorm is quite heavy and voluminous IDE. When I started to learn a language, I also used Sublime Text, where I performed assignments for assignment.essayshark.com. Sublime is really easy to use, therefore I recommend it to beginners.
chris.echoz Oct 24, 2018
I always use vi or vim if the vi executable is symlinked to vim. It is on my system so I suppose Vim would be the final answer, although there's nothing wrong with just vi.
Guppy Oct 26, 2018
Been using Atom since my last post here ( 2 years ago already? :o ) until recently that is - the editor has just become so slow and unresponsive even on small files. It's properly my fault for loading why too many nifty addons, but that was kind of the selling point of the editor.

I've switched to Visual studio code with the atom dark theme, so far my only complaint (other than having to relearn keyboard short cuts) has been that there does not seem to be any way to get a method/function outline?
Samsai Oct 26, 2018
Figured I'd also update this thread. I switched to Vim somewhat recently and then proceeded to check out Neovim. Not much of a difference between the two to my untrained eye, but I stuck to Neovim since that's what cool kids seem to be using these days. I've got it configured with Syntastic and YouCompleteMe for basic IDE functionality and I'm quite happy with it, definitely happier than I was with Geany, although Geany is still installed on my systems just in case.
j3kyl Nov 4, 2018
Emacs, VSCode. Java development!
Stupendous Man Nov 30, 2018
Vim; most programming I do these days are small scripts. Vim with syntax highlighting is perfect for this, and installed on basically all Linux machines and VMs.
Siinamon Dec 23, 2018
I generally use nano or Kate, these days. I have VSCodium installed though, for when I collaborate with VSCode users (which is rather often).
Pikolo Jan 25, 2019
Also a VSCodium user, mainly for C++ and Python, although I fall back to nano if need to hack together a quick bash script.

When I first started developing on Linux, I started with the IDE I'd used in high school. Code::Blocks worked, but was an inferior experience to VisualStudio I had to use at university. So I looked for alternatives. In QtCreator, I triggered a bug in the installation process, commented on a report someone posted about the bug before me, and never tried it again. Does it allow a CMake only workflow now? Last time I checked, it used qmake which I didn't want to bother with. After that, I settled on Atom for ~a year, which worked fine but I couldn't get breakpoints to work. We had VSCode preinstalled on work computers and I found it easier to debug python in, so I switched to that, after finding a telemetry free version.
edo May 7, 2019
visual studio code is very cool
Cedron May 11, 2019
Generally, on Linux, my "IDE" has been a text editor and a command line. I try to format my code clearly enough so that syntax highlighting is unnecessary. I realize that many people programming are younger and have known nothing but color coded editting. That's progress, I guess.

Earlier this year I found the Gambas. Gambas is a VB like, but vastly improved, IDE for developing desktop applications (or command line) in Linux. Since VB6 has always been my favorite programming environment, finding Gambas was way overdue, and a very pleasant surprise. I don't know why I hadn't found it before, it has been around for quite some while and is fairly mature.

It is not really a game development platform, though I am using it as such, in a sense. (If anybody wants a shared library for gamepad input, let me know, I wrote one.)

If you are interested, I suggest you start with the sample programs I posted on a Gambas forum:

"Programming is supposed to be fun" at https://forum.gambas.one/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=674

Ever seen a scrollbar act like a cannon with recoil? You'll find it in the second example.

PPA: gambas-team/gambas3

The latest version is 13.0

A very helpful website is: http://gambaswiki.org/wiki

It is absolutely the best IDE for learning how to program I know of. The nice thing is you will never "outgrow" it. It is a byte code interpreter though (but so is Java and Python, excepting JIT which Gambas has too). It is really easy to call C .so libraries, so anything computationally heavy can also be tackled.

It is Linux specific, but it is supposed to work on Raspberry Pi.

Ced
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.