You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Favourite Linux IDE?
Page: «9/9
  Go to:
appetrosyan Jan 27, 2020
Can't go wrong with Emacs. It's a rock solid editor; cross platform (all I need to instantiate my current config on a windows/Mac machine is to copy the init.el); completely reproducible results, and more importantly it plugs into everything you may want, including eclipse.

The only thing it's missing is a kitchen sink.
Jared Jul 27, 2020
Tough pick between neovim and doom emacs.
Samsai Jul 27, 2020
Doom Emacs has pretty much entrenched itself in my workflows at this point. Not only do I use it for essentially all coding I'm doing, I have also migrated my IRC, file management and RSS reader over to it and I start it as a user-level systemd service on login, so that I can create quick buffers by just connecting to it using emacsclient.

In terms of just coding, I've found Doom Emacs to be often more powerful than my own Neovim config and Evil does such a good job of emulating Vim keys that I have yet to find a key combination that I used in Vim which isn't available to me now, and sometimes Evil even enhances keybindings to be better than what I'm used to. Last autumn I even found Doom Emacs to be powerful enough that I used it for a Java project without a significant loss in coding efficiency despite Java's tendency to be quite IDE-centric.

Last edited by Samsai on 27 July 2020 at 8:15 pm UTC
nolddor Jul 28, 2020
Quoting: Ben DI use Github Atom for HTML/Jscript and Eclipse for Java

Same here!
Koopacabras Jul 28, 2020
Android Studio is pretty good also.. not sure if it can be called a "Linux IDE"
Arehandoro Jul 31, 2020
Started getting more into coding not long ago, and got a free subscription for an all products from JetBrains and loving it. I hate it isn't open source, though. In the near future, my aim is to do some apps for Gnome so have Builder installed to play with it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.