You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «53/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 10, 2017
The only major remaining issues now are invisible / distorted monsters (there is a hack patch, but it's causing a freeze for radeonsi), and non optimal performance in general.
andda715 Dec 10, 2017
Built wine-3.0-rc1 with wined3d-buffer_create and compared against wine-staging 2.21.
Running around in Kaer Mohen with both I got roughly 15 [11-19] fps using wine-3.0 and roughly 26 [21-30] fps using wine-staging.

So I guess there are some patches in wine-staging missing still in wine-master (csmt or something else?).

EDIT: pictures

wine-staging 2.21

wine-3.0-rc1 with wined3d-buffer-create

Shmerl Dec 10, 2017
Quoting: andda715So I guess there are some patches in wine-staging missing still in wine-master (csmt or something else?).

Not that I know of. I think Wine master now should have all needed features. But you can try applying deferred context patch from staging. See if it changes anything.
andda715 Dec 10, 2017
Hrm,

Won't apply cleanly
error: patch failed: dlls/wined3d/context.c:1514
error: dlls/wined3d/context.c: patch does not apply
error: patch failed: dlls/wined3d/device.c:628
error: dlls/wined3d/device.c: patch does not apply
error: patch failed: dlls/wined3d/wined3d_private.h:2666
error: dlls/wined3d/wined3d_private.h: patch does not apply
ERROR: Failed to apply patch, aborting!

Thanks Shmerl.

EDIT:

Applied d3d11-Deferred_Context and its dependencies using git rebase-patch - worked fine, but no obvious difference compared to vanilla wine-3.0 so either I did something wrong (requires something more?) or that wasn't it. :-/
Shmerl Dec 10, 2017
I guess experiment with staging patches related to graphics. May be staging CSMT somehow affects Nvidia blob? Though staging is too much behind, and my rebase patch is only good for a few DLLs, so full CSMT might require more work.
devland Dec 12, 2017
Are there any pre-compiled binaries that have all the patches for Witcher 3?
Lutris has something like that for Fallout 4, as far as I know.
libgradev Dec 12, 2017
Quoting: devlandAre there any pre-compiled binaries that have all the patches for Witcher 3?
Lutris has something like that for Fallout 4, as far as I know.

Not AFAIK but you only need to pull git master and add one patch set now: see Shmerl's HowTo on the appDB. You can then select this as the Custom Wine Executable in Lutris (there's no need to 'make install' that WINE build) - what I've done.
Shmerl Dec 12, 2017
Quoting: devlandAre there any pre-compiled binaries that have all the patches for Witcher 3?

I've never seen such, but it's not hard to build Wine for TW3, since you only need normal 64-bit build, rather than very messy WoW64 one.
beko Dec 13, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlI've never seen such, but it's not hard to build Wine for TW3, since you only need normal 64-bit build, rather than very messy WoW64 one.
Anything in IT is just (boiling) water :) Try to see this from a user's pov. "Compiling" makes you _very_ uneasy without previous experience. Some even panic when they are "just" supposed to open a terminal. It's hard to not forget this as a regular.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.