Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «54/178»
  Go to:
Faattori Dec 13, 2017
Hardest part was to find all the libraries from the software repository.
Shmerl Dec 13, 2017
Quoting: bekoTry to see this from a user's pov. "Compiling" makes you _very_ uneasy without previous experience.

I didn't say it's trivial for unfamiliar user. I said it's not hard, in comparison with WoW64, which requires using something like lxc containers and the like :) Building from source is a good thing to familiarize with for Linux users, so the learning experience is worth it.

Quoting: FaattoriHardest part was to find all the libraries from the software repository.

That's rather easy in Debian. For example something like this:

sudo apt-get build-dep wine
Faattori Dec 14, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlThat's rather easy in Debian. For example something like this:

sudo apt-get build-dep wine

Yeah, I did try that but for some reason or another I couldn't get it to detect the packages to install.

Not really a big deal since it was the first time I was trying to really compile something and I wanted to do a lot of the stuff manually to get a feel of what is going on.
Shmerl Dec 14, 2017
Not really directly related, but Józef Kucia is now working on D3D12 → Vulkan translation layer: https://source.winehq.org/git/vkd3d.git/

I hope he'll have time to continue to work on DX11 issues too.
Ehvis Dec 14, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlNot really directly related, but Józef Kucia is now working on D3D12 → Vulkan translation layer: https://source.winehq.org/git/vkd3d.git/

I hope he'll have time to continue to work on DX11 issues too.

Apparently he's been doing that for over a year, so it should be fine.
BeemWu Dec 16, 2017
I bought Witcher 3 on GoG and it works :-)
Shmerl Dec 17, 2017
Sapphire Nitro Vega 56 is out, but it's still quite monstrous, requiring 3 8-pin power connectors. I'm contemplating whether to skip it altogether, until Vega refresh that will bring power requirements down with switch to 12nm production. On the other hand, it has a potential run TW3 with close to 60 fps already now if it will work well with Linux 4.15.

Skipping can have another benefit - by the time Vega refresh will come out, amdgpu+radeonsi for Vega might improve further.
libgradev Dec 19, 2017
OK - well I've had time to test this on my new workstation now (TR1950x + Vega64) and I'm seeing similar 'load capping' issues to the NVidia guys.

I'm stuck @ <70% GPU load and seeing ~43 FPS @1080p and ~33FPS@3440x1440 on Ultra settings (HairWorks off)...

FYI: This issue doesn't happen on my current machine (i7-2600k + RX480) - I'm getting 95+ utilization.
Ehvis Dec 19, 2017
Quoting: libgradevOK - well I've had time to test this on my new workstation now (TR1950x + Vega64) and I'm seeing similar 'load capping' issues to the NVidia guys.

I'm stuck @ <70% GPU load and seeing ~43 FPS @1080p and ~33FPS@3440x1440 on Ultra settings (HairWorks off)...

FYI: This issue doesn't happen on my current machine (i7-2600k + RX480) - I'm getting 95+ utilization.

Not surprising that you hit CPU limits on a Vega64. Still much better than the CPU limits on Nvidia though. What would be interesting is you can profile it to see if if AMD peaks usage in the same functions.

I'm curious, does anybody know whether it is possible to get Hairworks working on Wine?
Shmerl Dec 19, 2017
Quoting: EhvisI'm curious, does anybody know whether it is possible to get Hairworks working on Wine?

I wouldn't bother personally, since if I've understood correctly, they on purpose prevent GPU acceleration in it if it's running on AMD GPU. Not sure how they detect it though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.