The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «61/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jan 8, 2018
Quoting: libgradevThose of you on > 4 core systems try locking W3 down to 4 CPU's e.g.:
taskset -c 0-3 <wine cmd>

That gave me a marked increase in performance (~10fps)!

This is less of an issue if you have fast RAM.
libgradev Jan 8, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlThis is less of an issue if you have fast RAM.

Well I'm running DDR4-3600...
Shmerl Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: libgradev
Quoting: ShmerlThis is less of an issue if you have fast RAM.

Well I'm running DDR4-3600...

I just tried this method, limiting TW3 to first 8 virtual cores (Ryzen 7 1700X has 4 physical, 8 virtual on each of two "core complexes" ). I don't see a major improvement really. Same good 40 fps on average. Limiting it to just 4 virtual cores on the first CCX as you described, degrades performance to around 25 fps. Anyway, there is no point in limiting it more than amount of virtual cores on one CCX.

performance governor does help to avoid periodic framerate drops though. I think in my case the game actually hits RX 480 GPU limit and isn't so CPU bound, so may be with Vega it would go higher.
libgradev Jan 9, 2018
Testing on Vega64 (core restriction):

0-3 : ~29fps (47% GPU load)
0-7 : ~25fps (40% GPU load)
All cores : ~21fps (33% GPU load)

Sitting in White Orchard 1080p. I also see a more stable frame rate when limiting to the first 4 virt cores.

Badly CPU bound here...
Faattori Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlThat 15% could be because of camera view between two tests. I tried positioning them close, but they could still be a bit different. But I do expect performance governor to improve it somewhat, since the game is CPU bound.

This should be solvable by just not moving your mouse at all after loading the save game. The camera view should stay constant when loading the same save file. That way you could eliminate the different view having a different impact on resources.
Shmerl Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: libgradevTesting on Vega64 (core restriction):

What CPU do you have? Such low GPU load surely means you are CPU bound.

UPDATE: from your profile, it looks like you are using Intel i7 2600k. That's quite old (Sandy Bridge). And I thought you are using Ryzen that's why you are limiting cores. I don't think there much point to do that for Intel.

So in your case, getting a recent CPU would help a lot.
Avehicle7887 Jan 9, 2018
Although not Witcher 3 related, I found that limiting cores in some games can improve (or worsen) performance, In Guild Wars 2 I run it with cores 0-7.
mrdeathjr Jan 9, 2018
Only Beko can help you because him have strong single thread cpu

Without forget wine dont use correctly many cores, is most common use a few cores (real cores) but with higher frecuencies

However him have at stock speed and wine improve with higher single thread and higher frecuencies

At 5.0ghz will be interesting, in this point is around 50% more strong in single thread than ryzen overclocked

Buy ryzen cpu thinking about wine is bad choice but in other tasks case video encoding, 3d rendering, virtual machines is really good

^_^
libgradev Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: libgradevBadly CPU bound here...

What CPU do you have? Such low GPU load surely means you are CPU bound.

As I said :)

Quoting: ShmerlUPDATE: from your profile, it looks like you are using Intel i7 2600k. That's quite old (Sandy Bridge). And I thought you are using Ryzen that's why you are limiting cores. I don't think there much point to do that for Intel.

So in your case, getting a recent CPU would help a lot.

Nope, this rig has a TR1950x in it.
Shmerl Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: libgradevNope, this rig has a TR1950x in it.

So that's 16 physical cores, 32 virtual ones and using 4 core complexes. So why is limiting to 0-7 worse for you than 0-4? Something surely doesn't work right.

I guess Thread Ripper support in the kernel is still flaky.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.