Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «124/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 22, 2019
I use Sun And Stars sparingly, but yeah it makes healing easier. What difficulty do you use? I went for Blood and Broken Bones which looks like equivalent of Hard in TW1 and TW2 and I always pick hard in them (otherwise it's just too easy). I'd say, that "hard" is really normal :)

As for story - I agree. I'm very impressed with it, it's immersive, touching and you care for characters, unlike in some generic Bethesda-like games. You can see how much effort went into making it. The world itself is also very immersive.

I usulally turn off those question marks in the UI, since that's too spoilery, I prefer to explore and discover things unexpectedly, kind of what real Geralt would do. Knowing where to go from the start is not RPG-ish enough for me :) Though I guess once you play long enough, you'd want to see what's left to do, then those marks can come handy.

In my first run I focus on sword skills, though I did bump Yrden sign skill, mistakenly thinking that "increase sign intensity" buff goes on all signs in it. I don't regret though being able to place 2 traps and make them last 10 seconds longer - it's quite handy for slowing down multiple foes. Quen is surely a must, but what I find very useful is Axii. It amazingly works almost on anyone and stuns them in combat. So it's way more useful than in the first two games. I use Axii way more than Aard and Igni, which were in contrast the most common signs for me in TW1 and TW2.

Since I play in a "traditional witcher style" about which Geralt even makes a comment to Vesemir, i.e. avoid using the crossbow unless completely necessary (like shooting those drowners underwater), Axii is very useful against flying creatures, since once stunned they fall down.

By the way, that inventory screen doesn't look standard. Is it some kind of mod?
Pangaea May 22, 2019
I went with Blood and Broken Bones too, just couldn't remember the name :P Mostly it felt like a good balance between challenging and story elements, and there isn't instant healing upon meditation.

The question marks weren't there from the beginning, at least I don't think so. When I pick up some board notices they are added, I think. Mostly I just go around and sometimes come over stuff, but if I were in an area with question marks I would often try to pick them up on the way to other stuff. There were way too many though, especially when I made an effort to read all those board notices. They sort of respawn on the boards, but pretty soon they are just generic notices, not tied to actual quests.

The inventory screen is standard btw, it's just the stats part (hit "C" I think it was? from the inventory screen). The only mod I'm using is to disable those videos when reloading. That got annoying pretty fast, as I keep dying. The most dangerous thing in the game, by far, is heights! :D

The skills is a bit unusual in this game, where you can only fit so many into the "tree", not like in Witcher 1 for instance. Especially if I start a NG+, there will be way more skill points than slots for skills. Right now I mostly have sign related skills, a few generic ones (like for Griffin), plus a few sword skills. All in all that probably means I played very ineffective since I mostly used swords with some signs here and there. Mostly Quen for protection, and the odd Igni. And much more rare, Aard and Anxii. And Yrden against those very dangerous noon wrights and suchlike. Died sooooooooooooo many times in those quests early on.

Funnily enough I never used any of the slots on swords or armour either. Like a typical RPG hoarder I picked up one after the other, saving it for later, and never using any of them. I did try to apply oils though, as it was much less of a pain in this game compared to the previous ones.

Sometimes I did use the crossbow to get Sirens out of the sky, but mostly I used it like you, only in the most needed drowner situations. Kept hoarding every bolt under the sun too, and stashing them away (they actually get quite heavy, when you have hundreds of the buggers! :D). So I just used the very plain ones.

Very fun game, you can definitely tell they put their heart and soul into the game. It is colossal, though, and I haven't even touched the expansions yet. And I also ignored gwent and mostly boxing. The former took way too much time and wasn't fun, and the latter is kinda silly when Geralt takes 2-3 hits and is knocked out, while your opponent needs 50 or something nuts like that. Although the QE stuff in Witcher 2 was kinda crap, I actually preferred that over the boxing in Witcher 3. It's too unfair and punishing.
Shmerl May 22, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaMostly Quen for protection, and the odd Igni. And much more rare, Aard and Anxii. And Yrden against those very dangerous noon wrights and suchlike. Died sooooooooooooo many times in those quests early on.

You should try Axii more often. It works wonders even on very large enemies.

Quoting: PangaeaAnd I also ignored gwent and mostly boxing. The former took way too much time and wasn't fun, and the latter is kinda silly when Geralt takes 2-3 hits and is knocked out, while your opponent needs 50 or something nuts like that.

I actually find fist fighting easy, once you figure out dodging and counterattack method. I.e. same as with swords riposte, block right before the opponent lands the blow, this breaks the attack and you have a chance to land a powerful counterattack right away. That knocks them out a lot faster than regular attacks.

Gwent also gets more fun once you build up your decks and figure out the flow. But it takes time to get stronger decks. Special card abilities play a bigger role against stronger opponents, rather than raw high card stats. I try to play with every merchant and character I meet if there is such option, and buy all cards if they are sold. That's the way to build up your decks.

Regarding crossbow bolts - I also just dump then in the stash, since I have no use for them. I tried selling or dismantling them, but no one accepts them weirdly. Not sure why CDPR made it that way.
Shmerl May 23, 2019
Quoting: PangaeaThe inventory screen is standard btw, it's just the stats part (hit "C" I think it was? from the inventory screen). The only mod I'm using is to disable those videos when reloading.

Interesting, I didn't notice this feature - I'll try it out. As for skipping videos, I don't think you need a mod for it. It's controlled from the config file. In your user.settings you can add:

[LoadingScreen/Debug]
DisableVideos=true

See: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt#Skip_loading_screen_narration_videos
Pangaea May 23, 2019
Thanks, maybe that's all the no-storybook videos mod does then.

Tried out "IconText - Combined" mod yesterday (it adds descriptions to some items like potions, without the need to hover), but the game kept crashing to desktop when I loaded a save. Removed it and it was fine again. Figured I had to try out the Nexus Mod Manager, in case that fixes mod conflicts -- but how do I get it working on Linux?

Don't want to change major stuff like combat, AI or other gameplay as I like the vanilla game, but think I'd prefer to look into some UI and otherwise handy mods, like better sorting, zoomed out minimap, that sort of thing.

Accidentally used Axii against some bears, which was very effective. Especially towards the end of the game I tried to use signs more for variety, but mostly I prefer to use swords and spam Quen for protection. Simple, but fun :)

A good while back I actually looked up some videos about how countering is supposed to work, but guess I never got the timing right. Kept getting smashed in the face instead, both during boxing and some easy drowner fights. So I went back to dodging. It feels more Witcher-like I guess :P Makes boxing a massive pain, though, so I mostly just ignored it.

Edit: This is the mod I tried out: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/863
Unfortunately the game still crashes when I only have this one enabled, so something is amiss somewhere :-/ It looked to be pretty useful.
Pangaea May 23, 2019
Haha, this is kinda funny. Tried out an alternative mod, hoping the game wouldn't crash.
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/493

It still crashes in the same way, just after loading the save (so I can briefly glance Geralt in-game)

Then I notice the mod's folder is capitalised.... Lower-case everything, and it works :D

Pangaea May 23, 2019
Time to jump back in, I think :)

This one looks quite promising for the Cat issue mentioned previously, although it's not as good as a toggle. Apparently it's brand new as well.
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3676

Don't know if all of them work yet, like the Gwent skip/cheat, but many of them are showing up properly despite being on Linux, such as the more zoomed out minimap.
Shmerl May 24, 2019
Mods can require scripts merging, that's why I prefer to use them sparingly. You can merge scripts manually using some merge tools (Meld, vimdiff etc.). That's basically what that Mod manager does anyway.

Case sensitivity is a common bugger. Windows using mod makers sometimes have no clue it's a problem, since Windows obscures it for them.
Pangaea May 25, 2019
Don't know if there actually are any mod conflicts with the ones I'm running. Don't think so, but you never know (although the Hattori fast travel mod didn't work). Figured I'd try out the Script Merger to check, as the tool you mentioned didn't seem the best for checking many files. Probably better for comparing two different files or file structures. However, I can't get it to run - which is no surprise really. I just wonder what is needed, or if it's even feasible. The tool itself is .exe, and then there are several other bundled tools that are also exe files.

I have installed the game using adamhm's script from GOG, and tried to run an exe file using his winewrapper. That didn't work.

That said, the mods themselves seem to work. All are minor changes. But the game does crash more frequently now than before. I suspect it may have something to do with having upgraded to 5.0 kernel, but it's hard to say. When the game does crash, it is typically when going from one cutscene to another, or when loading an area after a cutscene. Sometimes also when using the fast travel system during normal gameplay.

Unfortunately that's not much to go on, but have you or others run into this issue, and know what may cause it? Could it really be the 5.0 kernel, or alternatively moving from 418 to 430 Nvidia driver?

To give one example where it crashes (I've started with a NG+): the transition after cutscenes at the end of White Orchard, when we're supposed to move to Velen.
Pangaea May 25, 2019
I like the details they put in, above the cheese :)

Just a tiny thing in an inn, but it gives the game world more "life".
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.