Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «134/178»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Dec 7, 2019
maybe we should open a different thread, with the exception of Tomb Raider there's not much hollywood movies about games, that also happen to have native linux versions.
damarrin Dec 7, 2019
Every time this thread gets bumped I click on it and see “Józef Kucia” in the first post I get sad. :-(

Billboards for the witcher series are up everywhere here in town and I’m sure the people who made it did their best and all, but all the faces are decidedly non-Slavic and that puts me off big time. I’m sure most of the audience won’t notice or care.
Shmerl Dec 7, 2019
Quoting: damarrinEvery time this thread gets bumped I click on it and see “Józef Kucia” in the first post I get sad. :-(

Yeah, I feel sad too. He was the first to put a lot of effort into making TW3 playable on Linux, before dxvk project was started.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 December 2019 at 11:45 pm UTC
Shmerl Dec 7, 2019
Quoting: damarrinBillboards for the witcher series are up everywhere here in town and I’m sure the people who made it did their best and all, but all the faces are decidedly non-Slavic and that puts me off big time. I’m sure most of the audience won’t notice or care.

I think The Witcher series director spoke about this very point. Essentially, there is no need to make actors look ethnically specific, if the author didn't put an emphasis on that story wise. I've read all Witcher books and I don't remember Sapkowski ever making a point about Northern Realms being Slavic per se that mattered for the story, even though he used a lot of European history for them as the basis.

Also, Sapkowski himself commented on the series, and he said he liked what he saw.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 December 2019 at 11:46 pm UTC
Shmerl Dec 7, 2019

Quoting: The_Aquabatmaybe we should open a different thread, with the exception of Tomb Raider there's not much hollywood movies about games, that also happen to have native linux versions.

The series are actually about the books, not about the games. Games are unofficial sequels to the books.

Last edited by Shmerl on 7 December 2019 at 11:45 pm UTC
beko Dec 9, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlThe series are actually about the books, not about the games. Games are unofficial sequels to the books.
Fans expect a certain look by now because all we had before was that very old movie/series that clearly had not enough money. That's just how it is.

What I've seen so far makes me really wary. I'm afraid they'll botch this. Books or not. I read all (and various comics).
Shmerl Dec 9, 2019
Quoting: bekoFans expect a certain look by now because all we had before was that very old movie/series that clearly had not enough money. That's just how it is.

What I've seen so far makes me really wary. I'm afraid they'll botch this. Books or not. I read all (and various comics).

I personally don't mind if they go with their own original look. But I think they drew some inspiration from the games as well. Like that scene with the silver chain, was clearly influenced by the intro to TW1.

The only strange thing I've seen so far is Nilfgaardian armor. So let's wait and see. Hopefully they'll do a good job overall.

Last edited by Shmerl on 9 December 2019 at 10:04 pm UTC
Shmerl Dec 10, 2019
Quoting: bekoFans expect a certain look by now because all we had before was that very old movie/series that clearly had not enough money.

Actually, Michał Żebrowski played quite well in The Hexer series. Despite low budget and messing up with the story, it has its charm.

A nice song from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWInlU7bLZU

Last edited by Shmerl on 10 December 2019 at 2:08 am UTC
beko Dec 10, 2019
I've the "movie" cut and that actor was the best thing in this xD Kinda like the movie as well but it aged really bad.
Shmerl Dec 10, 2019
Actually the "movie" cut is taken from the series, but composed quite badly, making a very incoherent storyline. You should re-watch it in the original series form, that would make a lot more sense.

Last edited by Shmerl on 10 December 2019 at 3:43 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.