Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «144/178»
  Go to:
Pangaea Jan 10, 2020
Quoting: wvstolzingI don't use Igni against people; it looks far too cruel.
(Chopping people in half is OK, though -- because it looks funny, more than anything else. Over the top fictional violence has always seemed to me to be a type of slapstick comedy; though with burning alive it's somehow different.)

Like these poor chaps?

I sometimes run into an odd issue where the game becomes much too dark. It becomes difficult to see much of anything inside buildings, and I will quite regularly have to use a torch to move around, despite most buildings having light sources of one type or another. Perhaps it's a driver issue or something, rather than with the game, because it tends to fix itself after a computer restart. Don't know what triggers it, though. Here is one example.

Shmerl Jan 10, 2020
I noticed it one time, during storm going on outside. I wonder if it's a dxvk bug.
Shmerl Jan 12, 2020
Interesting interactive map: https://www.witchernetflix.com
Pangaea Jan 12, 2020
Gotta admit this amused me. Geralt talking about Roach:

Breaking the fourth wall, kinda, but still :P

Due to exactly that, and Roach having a real hard tendency to take the wrong path at every single crossroad, big or small, I mostly prefer to run wherever I need to go (unless it's really far, with no quick travel in sight).
Pangaea Jan 12, 2020
This is basically wiki related, as I tend to write a little bit there while going through the game, if I happen to spot any missing or incorrect info. https://witcher.gamepedia.com/User_talk:Game_widow#Ingredients_from_dismantling

From what I can see, all the game files are "cooked" and placed in a heap of bundles, making it impossible to directly check xml files for values and so forth (typically very easy in Unity made games, at least if the developer is mod friendly, like for RimWorld). Found some info about this process, but it's for exe files. Obviously I'm on a Linux only system. Do you know if it's possible/easy to "uncook" the game files on Linux?

Game widow, the admin on the wiki, said it wasn't easy to get the info I needed from the XML files either way, but it would perhaps be worth to take a look at least. However, if they only use ID numbers and I'd have to chase down a string of files just to get at ingredients, that's a TON more work than I will bother for this.

I do wish the game itself listed dismantling ingredients correctly though. It just lists the different ingredients, but not the amounts. Meaning it would be a colossal pain to do this manually in-game.
Shmerl Jan 12, 2020
I uncooked some files before using Wine and ModKit. Some details here.

And thanks for contributing to the Wiki! Looks like a lot of contributors deserted to Fandom these days. I actually wanted to make a Witcher wiki page about extracting music, but didn't get to it yet.

Last edited by Shmerl on 12 January 2020 at 9:13 pm UTC
Avehicle7887 Jan 12, 2020
I've finally started playing the game properly. Got to Skellige for the first time today, really love the icy theme

Shmerl Jan 12, 2020
Skellige is nice. Explore the mountains a bit for some "snowboarding" fun. See some posts above.
Pangaea Jan 13, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlI uncooked some files before using Wine and ModKit. Some details here.

And thanks for contributing to the Wiki! Looks like a lot of contributors deserted to Fandom these days. I actually wanted to make a Witcher wiki page about extracting music, but didn't get to it yet.

Thanks. Perhaps I'll try to look into it, but I suspect it will be a lot of work for little progress. But like I wrote there, if I spot anything else that is wrong, I can update pages as I go. I know from experience that trying to mass-check hundreds of files for correctness quickly turns into thousands of files and days upon endless days of work. I've been down that rabbit hole several times on different wikis.

Surprised if people are migrating to the 10 pixels wide wiki. Haven't showered yet today, so I took the chance of checking it out. Looks as horrible as it always has, and I didn't even find a recent changes link anywhere. But then I do use uBlock, Ghostery and NoScript (everybody should), so perhaps something didn't work. In any case, the official wiki is certainly a lot more user friendly. And I hope Wikia won't eventually assassinate all Gamepedia wikis and "steal" the content. That takeover was such horrible, terrible news :(
Shmerl Jan 13, 2020
Well, I've seen some taking my articles, and just copying them there before, so I'm surely not impressed by Fandom wiki :)

You can see changes there in Explore > Wiki Activity.

I'm somewhat surprised, that contributors like SMiki55 moved there.

Last edited by Shmerl on 13 January 2020 at 7:44 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.