Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
[Fixed, needs testing] Dying Light refuses to launch
Page: «5/16»
  Go to:
skyrrd Jan 3, 2018
Great news: i managed to get Dying Light to work on Gentoo Linux without snapd or similar soulutions ;)

will write down later what i have done to get it working (not everything i have done is needed i suppose ;))
skyrrd Jan 3, 2018
Ok Guy here's the solution to get Dying Light running on Gentoo (didn't have time to check any other distro now) and it's disappointingly simple =)

What i was trying the all the time was getting the library-issues fixed including libcurl-gnutls, libdap, librtmp and so on.
After hunting down all these library dependencies the game still crashed.
In the logs i found out it didn't detect any video memory.

Thing is Dying Light uses lspci to detect your Graphics Card (at least when running on mesa).
Since on most distributions this binary is located in /usr/sbin/ the game can't find it and reports no video memory and crashes.

All i did was creating a symlink "ln -s /usr/sbin/lspci /usr/bin/lspci" and the game would start up fine, even without fixing the library dependencies
sr_ls_boy Jan 3, 2018
HOLY CRAP! skyrrd !

Is that what I was missing after all of this time?
A bigger question: how did you come across this?

+
Its a good find but Ubuntu/Mesa for me in some logs
I posted months ago also reported zero video memory.
It might be a case where the game doesn't use the
output of video memory from lspci.
devland Jan 3, 2018
It doesn't work on Arch.

ln -s /usr/sbin/lspci /usr/bin/lspci
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/bin/lspci': File exists
skyrrd Jan 3, 2018
Can you execute lspci as normal user?
Could you post the permissions of your lspci?

So i guess i'll setup arch in the days ahead and take a closer look ;-)

Next point of interest would be glibc (guess it needs avc2 optimization) and i don't know if thats the case with arch.

Guess we needs some list oft what are the global requirements and what distros needs what Operation to fix this.
sr_ls_boy Jan 3, 2018
WOW! Techland could've help us out with this
a long time ago, if they gave a damn.
devland Jan 3, 2018
QuoteCan you execute lspci as normal user?
Yep. I get a lot of lines regarding my AMD RX 580 GPU.
skyrrd Jan 3, 2018
On what Version of mesa is antergos now? Would maybe take a look later in a live-session.

Yes i think it would have been an relativly easy task to support mesa but to be fair, the mesa-graphics stack wasn't as polished when the game was released on linux as it is now.

But hey, there are not many major distributions now that don't support snap packages so the chances you can play the game with mesa are quite gold right now ;-)
devland Jan 3, 2018
Quoting: skyrrdOn what Version of mesa is antergos now? Would maybe take a look later in a live-session.
17.3.1-2
Antergos uses almost entirely the same packages as Arch.
skyrrd Jan 3, 2018
good, will give it a shot later. should feel right at home since i've been a long-time arch-user before switching to gentoo.

But not before wife and kid are asleep...and that could take a while ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.