You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Atari is indeed working on a new SteamMachine?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
1xok Jun 16, 2017
Atari is indeed working on a new console:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/16/atari-is-indeed-working-on-a-new-console-says-ceo/

Could that be a SteamMachine or something else witch is based on SteamOS?

Everything else would make little sense at this time. How do you think about this?
slaapliedje Jun 16, 2017
Well, from what I had heard in the rumor mill (and on ataribox.com! ) they are looking for developers, which means to me that it's more likely something akin to a PS4 or XBox One. Basic PC hardware, but needs it's own software library. Personally, I never thought I'd see the day again, and I may just buy it to have something to sit next to my Atari Jaguar, Atari STs and Atari 8-bits...

I somehow was one of those on their newsletter lists that got the original teaser. "Years in the making" was the text.

So I don't think they're working on a SteamMachine. To me it'd make total sense if Valve partnered with them to make a "King of Video Games!" system, but one would think they could have whipped something up quick enough to show at E3 this year if it was only that. Now if it is another Kitty, and they called it the box because it currently smells like kitty-litter, then, maybe it needs a bit more cleaning up to do before actual release.

Either way, I'm actually kind of excited.
wojtek88 Jun 17, 2017
Why "indeed" in the title? Was there ever roumour about it?
Anyway, I rather expect something similar to SNES mini rather than PS4 and Xbox One competitor...
slaapliedje Jun 17, 2017
Quoting: wojtek88Why "indeed" in the title? Was there ever roumour about it?
Anyway, I rather expect something similar to SNES mini rather than PS4 and Xbox One competitor...

I guess the key word here being 'competitor'. I don't think it'll end up being an 'also ran..' system. They're apparently looking for developers, which would indicate it isn't just a 'PC with the Fuji stamped on'. Granted, I'd be utterly thrilled with a Valve+Atari SteamMachine... Ha, I'm dreaming now of a Steam Controller with the Fuji on it...

Gabe should just buy Atari, they both work on the same time scale anyhow...
1xok Jun 18, 2017

Yes, see for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5bB7N5QuQ

Quoting: wojtek88Anyway, I rather expect something similar to SNES mini rather than PS4 and Xbox One competitor...

No, that's the Atari Flashback Gold. This is Ataris retro console.

But now we are talking about a complete new console based on PC hardware from Atari, see for example:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/16/15821856/atari-ataribox-new-console
wojtek88 Jun 19, 2017
Quoting: PixelPi
Yes, see for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5bB7N5QuQ
I referred to:

QuoteAtari is indeed working on a new SteamMachine?
Liam Dawe Jun 19, 2017
Yeah the post title wasnt worded well, but i imagine the OP isnt a native english speaker.

Very doubtful it will be a Steam Machine, there's literally nothing to back that up.
1xok Jun 19, 2017
Quoting: liamdaweYeah the post title wasnt worded well, but i imagine the OP isnt a native english speaker.

Bery doubtful it will be a Steam Machine, there's literally nothing to back that up.

Hi liamdawe,

it should only be a word game connected to the original article: "Atari is indeed working on a new console, says CEO", see https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/16/atari-is-indeed-working-on-a-new-console-says-ceo/

And I'm indeed no native english speaker. ;)

Regards
PixelPi (aka 1xok)
1xok Jun 19, 2017
To come back again:

Quoting: liamdaweVery doubtful it will be a Steam Machine, there's literally nothing to back that up.

See the interview with Atari CEO Fred Chesnais:

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/16/atari-ceo-confirms-the-company-is-working-on-a-new-game-console

Money quote:
Quote“We’re back in the hardware business,” he said.

Chesnais declined to describe a lot of details about the console. But he said it is based on PC technology. He said Atari is still working on the design and will reveal it at a later date.

A retro console from Atari already exists. It is NOT the Atari Gold. He talks about a completely new console.

Atari, Inc. (Atari, SA subsidiary) is today a very small company with maybe 10 employees (2014). So I wonder what these people are working on. On an independent competition to the PlayStation, X-Box and Switch? Or does Frederic Chesnais just say stupid stuff on the E3 to exert himself? What does he mean by the statement: “We’re back in the hardware business,”? Or is he simply misquoted?
slaapliedje Jun 20, 2017
Well, firstly none of the old 'Atari' systems coming out have been made by Atari. They have been made by ATGames. They also have licenses for doing Sega platforms. They're kind of crappy... Last actual hardware made by Atari was the Jaguar.

If there is only a summary of 10 employees in 2014, they could have grown since then, right? Not saying they did... in one of the AtariAge threads I even asked if anyone knew of a way to see how many employees they have now, maybe look at LinkedIn?

Maybe they hired some hardware engineers, or even some of those crazy people that build hardware for old Atari's still. Either way, I'm kind of giddy in having some new hardware with the Fuji on it, much in the same way some people are probably happy that Nokia is going to release the 3310 again.
slaapliedje Jun 20, 2017
Guess if we actually wanted to look at this as logically as we can...

1) Atari declared bankruptcy in 2013, but it looks like funding / purchase came from somewhere...
2) They did sell off some IP (for example, Battlezone is now owned by Rebellion, who made the very good VR version for PSVR and PC)
3) They have been selling mobile games and Roller Coaster Tycoon for a few years.
4) Possibly decent amount of money from all the 'Flashback' licensing.
5) 10 employees left in 2014.
6) PC-based hardware project teased. Technically the Xbone and PS4 are 'PC-Based'
7) Page at ataribox.com requesting developers.

I think that's the limit of the Facts.

Speculations:
1) SteamOS based. This would make a lot of sense, unless #5 above has changed within the last 3 years, then they wouldn't have the manpower to create their own operating system. It's very unlikely MS would be okay with a possible direct competitor.
2) Streaming service. I think this one was dismissed by someone who may or may not be in the know... not to mention why go through the trouble of creating a hardware based solution when you are just doing a streaming service. Would make more sense to have a 'store' in that case.
3) Some rich company/dude wants some Atari love to come back. Or they got funding other ways (apparently there is the Atari logo in the new Bladerunner 2049 movie?)
4) They partnered with someone. While I think it'd be awesome for them to partner with Valve, it's again a hope/rumor.
5) There are many news stations picking this up, so if it falls flat on it's face, I'm sure Atari are doomed for the rest of time. But there certainly seems to be some excitement about this; after all, Atari was the one who pretty much pioneered the video game industry.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.