Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
New Desktop Screenshot Thread
Page: «55/71»
  Go to:
Pengling Aug 24, 2022

I'm normally a very patient woman, but a recent update to Raspberry Pi OS got on my last nerve and prompted me to (finally) move my desktop daily-driver Raspberry Pi 4 over to Xubuntu this evening, by way of setting up the official Ubuntu image and then switching it over. I wish that they'd just provide a ready-to-go Xubuntu image, but at the end of the day this wasn't too big of a hassle, so it's ok.

If you use a Raspberry Pi in a desktop capacity, you're probably aware that the hardware's mouse-polling can be a bit quirky with some devices; This is commonly believed to only affect wireless mice, but it actually affects wired ones too. The most recent update broke this for me, rendering my wired Kensington Orbit trackball borderline unusable - and worse, the well-known method for fixing it also broke! I've been tolerant of these oddball occurrences with Raspberry Pi OS until now, but this one annoyed me too much - it seems to be the only distro out there where ancient issues that I used to see almost 15 years ago seem to keep coming back from the dead every now and then, and I've had enough of it now. Moreover, it feels to me that it just doesn't give a good first impression of modern desktop Linux anymore, so I won't be recommending it to others from here on out either.

So, yes, my RPi is now happily on Xubuntu, matching all of my other machines, and this is how it's looking right now.
sourpuz Aug 24, 2022
Quoting: Pengling
I'm normally a very patient woman, but a recent update to Raspberry Pi OS got on my last nerve and prompted me to (finally) move my desktop daily-driver Raspberry Pi 4 over to Xubuntu this evening, by way of setting up the official Ubuntu image and then switching it over. I wish that they'd just provide a ready-to-go Xubuntu image, but at the end of the day this wasn't too big of a hassle, so it's ok.

You like bold colours!
That seems like a comfy RaspberryPi, I think Xubuntu has always had one of the nicest XFCE themes around.And it's blazing fast, in my experience.
Pengling Aug 24, 2022
Quoting: sourpuzYou like bold colours!
Haha, yes, I do! The background changes every fifteen minutes (same as my other machines), so this was just what I had up at the time.

Quoting: sourpuzThat seems like a comfy RaspberryPi,
It feels a whole lot comfier than Raspberry Pi OS to be able to set it up exactly like my other computers, I must admit - I almost regret putting up with it for so long, now!

Quoting: sourpuzI think Xubuntu has always had one of the nicest XFCE themes around.And it's blazing fast, in my experience.
I'm a big fan of it, and it's great on this hardware, too!

For me, there's no reason to use the official distro anymore - and I'm one of those people who even put up with it and learned how to block new apt sources from being added without authorisation, that time a year or two ago when they used a standard update to automatically add and trust a third-party repo without users' permission.

Last edited by Pengling on 24 August 2022 at 11:59 pm UTC
Mezron Aug 25, 2022

I have PPSSPP with a few games on it.

• The Lord of the Rings - Aragorn's Quest

• The Lord of the Rings - Tactics

I don't know if they are good or not but been re-reading various Tolkien books with all the buzz about the show. I don't plan on seeing it but I did have fun 'Shadow of Mordor' while ending it. I also played War of the Ring years ago and loved that.

Redream is the best party gaming things for when my friends are over. So far none of the SP stuff has impressed me enough to keep playing it.

Last edited by Mezron on 25 August 2022 at 9:37 pm UTC
Cybolic Aug 25, 2022
Quoting: Arcadius-8606[...]
Wallpaper link
Mezron Aug 26, 2022
Quoting: CybolicWallpaper link

Ty. I actually found it on Wallhaven but I would love to pass coin to the artist. I really like this art.
Pengling Aug 29, 2022
I just had the whole fleet together for updates and stuff, and I took screenshots while I was at it. Smallest to largest;

With Neofetch;
Spoiler, click me
GPD MicroPC. Linux-Fu. Image source: https://hackaday.com/2022/06/21/linux-fu-docking-made-easy/

With Neofetch (which looks pretty cool with this background);
Spoiler, click me
GPD Win Max 2021. Custom Battler Bomberman. Image source: https://bomberman.fandom.com/wiki/Bomberman_2#Gallery

With Neofetch;
Spoiler, click me
Entroware Orion i5. Phoenix Wright Steam Trading Card art.

With Neofetch;
Spoiler, click me
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. Tanglewood Nymn and Echo. Image source: https://twitter.com/tanglewoodgame/status/1353782626927181825?lang=en-GB

EDIT: Disaster! The Xubuntu setup that I sorted out for my Raspberry Pi corrupted a couple of microSD Cards within a few days! I don't have the time or inclination to troubleshoot this at the moment, so for now I've retired the machine from its desktop tasks (I'll find some other job for it) and am now docking my Entroware Orion i5 at my desk as needed. Considering that the UK is expecting blackouts in the winter, it's probably better to be using a machine with an on-board battery and not one that depends on SD Cards, anyway.

Last edited by Pengling on 6 September 2022 at 10:00 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Sep 14, 2022
Ive been meaning to post here for about a week but kept forgetting........ Not that my desktop is exciting or anything..... I really havnt changed that much from the default KDE Plasma dekstop enviroment on EndeavourOS....... Anyway here it is.....

I really do like that spaceman wallpaper and I doubt I will change it anytime soon...... The last wallpaper I had lasted from 2013-2022 before switching to Linux.......

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 14 September 2022 at 12:56 pm UTC
ChristieRiley Sep 16, 2022
I found a lot of great wallpapers here :D
Grogan Sep 17, 2022
I'm old school, and I like old stuff. This is my main system that I use for work, and more serious stuff. (I don't play many games here... I have a custom Manjaro setup for that)

This is XFCE 4.12.0 from 2015, the last version of it that I liked and there's no reason I can't use it (the parts of it that I use still compile). At the time the only thing ported to GTK+3 was xfce4-panel but it had a --disable-gtk3 option, so this is pure GTK+2 like some of my other favourite applications.

I'm a virtual desktop/workspace user for my workflow. Maximized applications each on their own desktop and I slide around with the mouse and pager (wrap workspaces at screen edge, and focus follows mouse model)

The wallpaper is a screenshot from my Metro Exodus game. "The Volga" level (my favourite).

I call this system "Bollux" but it's a from scratch system maintained by hand.

I don't know what would happen if I use img here (automatic resize or pollute thread with 1920x1080 image?) so I'll just make a clickable link.

http://www.mikeserv.org/images/bollux_sept2022.jpg
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.