Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Free SW2 on GOG
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
DoctorJunglist Oct 10, 2018
Quoting: adamhmI've updated my wrapper to use Proton 3.7-6 as I found SW2 to perform slightly better with that :)
Did you use esync in your wrapper? If not, that could account for the performance difference, as Proton comes with esync enabled by default.
adamhm Oct 10, 2018
I didn't think so as it's only a small boost & I had explicitly disabled esync until I learn more about it.

Or so I thought: According to https://github.com/zfigura/wine/blob/esync/README.esync WINEESYNC should be set to 1 to enable so I had my scripts export WINEESYNC=0 for now, however investigating further it looks like it's enabled if the WINEESYNC environment variable is set at all. Inconvenient, but should be a quick and easy fix.

What I'll do is change the general wrapper defaults to disable it unless it's explicitly enabled with WINEESYNC=1, and for games that benefit from it such as SW2 I'll have it enable it by default, unless it's explicitly disabled by WINEESYNC being set to anything other than 1. It will only allow WINEESYNC to be enabled as long as the system's file descriptor limit isn't too low.
adamhm Oct 10, 2018
And done :)
m2mg2 Oct 11, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: adamhmGOG have previously said that a big obstacle to them releasing more Wine wrappers is getting permission from the publishers to do so, but with Valve now effectively doing this already with SteamPlay & the apparent lack of objection to it from any publishers I doubt it would be an issue.

That's what I was wondering about too. GOG claimed, releasing a wrapped Linux version requires making a new contract and is a big legal overhead which publishers won't be willing to participate in. Yet Valve somehow bypassed this whole issue and kept publishers out of the picture in this. How did they manage that?

Probably a few reasons:

They don't actually have it for sale for Linux (this may be a loophole they are using), they just sell it for Windows and provide a way to play it in Linux that already exists (Wine).
They provide support themselves (GOG may not want to wrap games, then support them)
Valve maybe more comfortable, and have more resources to actually defend against a legal action.

I imagine if they after add a Linux icon on the store for Proton games, it will only be for games they are granted permission to sell for Linux with Proton
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.