Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Bioshock 1 & 2 remastered in Wine?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Ehvis Dec 20, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlOnce thing I noticed is a lot of stutter when entering new areas. Hopefully dxvk pipeline cache will mitigate it over time.

Interesting. I haven't seen a single stutter. Maybe that means that Proton automatically picks up an existing pipeline/shader cache like Steam does for normal games.
Shmerl Dec 20, 2018
Quoting: EhvisInteresting. I haven't seen a single stutter. Maybe that means that Proton automatically picks up an existing pipeline/shader cache like Steam does for normal games.

Can you check for your cache file? Not sure if Proton configures a custom location for it, but by default it's found in the same directory where the game binary is located. The file is called BioshockHD.dxvk-cache for me. It's currently around 9 MB large.
Shmerl Dec 21, 2018
Stutter is decreasing, as pipeline state cache is growing. So I guess it's working as intended.
Shmerl Dec 25, 2018
Bioshock has some quite unexpected and nice soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhsDR7SwSxo
Pangaea Jul 18, 2020
Bought the original Bioshock on GOG the other day because it was 80% off and I've no idea where my old CDs are. It comes with the remasters, but I've read so much poor reviews about them - crashes, sound dropping out, worse graphics amazingly enough - so I went with the proper original instead. Been playing it the last few days (thanks to Adam's gog scripts), and damn it's good :)

For being such an old game, the graphics look pretty darn good I think. But more importantly, the gameplay and atmosphere is fantastic. I didn't like Bioshock 2 as much from what I recall years ago, but the first Bioshock is wonderful. A true gem. Strong story too, which I'm now experiencing anew :)

Haven't tried to play Infinite yet. Am pretty crap at getting these things to run (or run well) when I can't lean on an installation script from the glorious Linux community.
Shmerl Jul 19, 2020
I played through the remaster (Wine+dxvk). It was good, I didn't have any issues.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.