Cyberpunk 2077 in Wine
Page: «11/30»
  Go to:
scaine Jul 8, 2021
Quoting: ShmerlThe audio crackling in the game though makes it pretty much unplayable. I'm waiting for some method to configure Pipewire to handle it better.

I just upgraded to Pop_OS 21.04. It's not using Pipewire, but I was affected by the crackling when I bought the game yesterday. Found a fix yesterday - this is for Steam launch options but maybe you can engineer for GOG?

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=40 %command%

Fingers crossed for you. I've played 25 minutes and it seems okay so far. I'm waiting for the inevitable bugs and so forth...
Shmerl Jul 8, 2021
I tried that - it didn't help even with PulseAudio proper. Some suggested using Pipewire - but it seems to make it worse even.
scaine Jul 8, 2021
Quoting: ShmerlI tried that - it didn't help even with PulseAudio proper. Some suggested using Pipewire - but it seems to make it worse even.

Huh. Worked for me, so it must be some core difference between Proton and Wine. That's a real shame - I guess you're waiting for a wine-staging fix then?

The only other thing I can think of is that I always edit my /etc/pulse/daemon.conf so that the default sample rate is 48000, instead of the insane 44100 it defaults to normally. Worth a try?
Shmerl Jul 8, 2021
Pipewire seems to be using that too:

pactl info
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.30)
Server Version: 14.0.0
Default Sample Specification: float32le 2ch 48000Hz

I'll check if going back to stock PulseAudio and doing some tweaks could help.

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 July 2021 at 4:13 pm UTC
Shmerl Jul 8, 2021
There could be some realtime related patches in Proton, but they are also in Wine staging.

See also this thread: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/4450#issuecomment-869136858
scaine Jul 8, 2021
Quoting: ShmerlThere could be some realtime related patches in Proton, but they are also in Wine staging.

See also this thread: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/4450#issuecomment-869136858

Pretty infuriating. I hope you get a breakthrough. I didn't actually try stock Proton - I'm using the new Proton 6.12-GE-1 version but I couldn't tell you whether it has specific sound/real-time patches.
Shmerl Jul 8, 2021
Quoting: scainePretty infuriating. I hope you get a breakthrough. I didn't actually try stock Proton - I'm using the new Proton 6.12-GE-1 version but I couldn't tell you whether it has specific sound/real-time patches.

I can try building that. Never experimented with GE versions before.
pete910 Jul 10, 2021
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: scainePretty infuriating. I hope you get a breakthrough. I didn't actually try stock Proton - I'm using the new Proton 6.12-GE-1 version but I couldn't tell you whether it has specific sound/real-time patches.

I can try building that. Never experimented with GE versions before.

Always used the GE versions , They have always worked netter than stock wine/proton for me in things like star citizen. Easy to use with lutris too as there is a build ready made for it within the release tar.
Shmerl Jul 11, 2021
Quoting: pete910Always used the GE versions , They have always worked netter than stock wine/proton for me in things like star citizen. Easy to use with lutris too as there is a build ready made for it within the release tar.

What is the best repo for GE versions?
Shmerl Jul 12, 2021
OK, I just tried running the game with Proton-GE without any priority tweaks (instead of Wine-staging) - and the crackling is gone! So it's clearly doable with some changes to Wine / libraries itself.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.