Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
"Your PC information hasn't been updated in a few months - be sure to keep it up to date! "
Page: «5/8»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Apr 12, 2021
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0
Quoting: slaapliedjeThat's because you can't buy any new hardware!

Why do you need new hardware? What purpose would it fulfill for you? Is your current hardware somehow in any way lacking in ability of serving your needs and expectations?

Get functional hardware..

Let me be blunt; If your need is simply to aquire the "newest and latest" expensive f%cling sh!t , you aught to seriously reconsider your priorities. If only for the sake of the contents in your wallet and your personal economy.

(i'm not saying that is your mentality, i don't know you or your computing requirements. But there's plenty of people who think that way. Commonly referred to as "Materialists / Consumerists")

Yes I need newer hardware. I have a secondary machine for a VR set up, and quite frankly the GTX 980 I have in the machine isn't up to the task of pushing the Valve Index / HTC Vive Pro. Sure, the 2080 in my other machine works, but I can't even get a new RTX 2080 for a price that isn't insane.

I mean do I need (as in will I die without it) no. But do I need it to actually be able to use the computer for the task that I want to be able to use it for? Yes. Here it isn't as much about latest and newest, it is simply about getting the correct performance for the task that I am throwing at it.
denyasis Apr 12, 2021
Quoting: x_wing
Quoting: ShmerlNot really. It's a global shortage due to production problems and global demand skyrocketing. What you see "in stock" for crazy prices are scalpers buying whatever measly supply there is and then reselling it for quick profit. That you could find, yes. But I don't count it as being in stock.

The crazy prices I get are from retailers, not scalpers from the internet (we also have those though). For what I can see, MSRP are no were to be seen and all around the world retailers are selling their stocks at very high prices. IMO, the difference between my country and others is that even with this crazy prices it seems that in more developed countries there are "gamers" still whiling to pay them.

Same here, the double/triple prices I mentioned for my 4 year old card were from a large scale online retailer. I've used them for... Decades?, I think.

I wonder if when I upgrade in another 5-7 years, I'll be able to still sell it at a profit, lol.
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Apr 22, 2021
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0Get functional hardware..

This is a rather nonsense recommendation. You can't buy a functional GPU now. Neither recent nor old. They are non existent. I.e. old ones are not produced anymore and new ones are produced in minuscule quantities which makes them impossible to buy. Check the real situation first.

Have you looked on ebay? (I admit, I haven't in a while)

And by Functional, i mean performant to the task(s) you require it to to do.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news; But mining crypto coins very much outweighs having 1200 frames per second rendered in a videogame, in sheer practicality... Just in case that's your requirement.

But hey. Let's look on the bright side; At least it's an incentive for Unity3D and Unreal to get perhaps a bit less bloated..

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 22 April 2021 at 7:03 pm UTC
denyasis Apr 22, 2021
Yes, I suspect the whole crypto crazy combined with the silicon shortage is going to make it difficult and expensive to invest in new hardware for a while.

I would hazard the silver lining is that it's ubiquitous. So developers are in the same boat and I would hazard thier performance targets for upcoming titles would reflect that. Why develope a game that can't run well because no one can afford the hardware?
Mezron Apr 22, 2021
I won't be upgrading my main gaming rig til 2023 (built in 2009). Though with the trend of games I'm playing I made just keep it Minimum or Entry level upgrade since none of the games I currently enjoy and those I plan on getting need much to run.

Last edited by Mezron on 22 April 2021 at 7:37 pm UTC
x_wing Apr 22, 2021
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0Get functional hardware..

This is a rather nonsense recommendation. You can't buy a functional GPU now. Neither recent nor old. They are non existent. I.e. old ones are not produced anymore and new ones are produced in minuscule quantities which makes them impossible to buy. Check the real situation first.

Have you looked on ebay? (I admit, I haven't in a while)

And by Functional, i mean performant to the task(s) you require it to to do.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news; But mining crypto coins very much outweighs having 1200 frames per second rendered in a videogame, in sheer practicality... Just in case that's your requirement.

You can buy Functional hardware by your definition, but for a complete absurd price. Maybe for your economy those prices still makes sense, but for most of the rest of the world they don't.

BTW, having 1200 frames on games is as pointless as investing that a lot of GPU power for some shitcoins that can process less than 10k transactions per minute. Crypto's in their current state are the next big shit to fuck up the natural environment.
Shmerl Apr 22, 2021
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0And by Functional, i mean performant to the task(s) you require it to to do.

Yeah, I need an AMD GPU that can run CP2077 with enough framerate to utilize 2560x1440 144 Hz adaptive sync display efficiently. Such kind of GPUs are non existent. I don't count ebay and etc. - that's just scalpers.

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 April 2021 at 10:01 pm UTC
furaxhornyx Apr 23, 2021
Quoting: furaxhornyx
Quoting: slaapliedjeAnyone else actually able to upgrade their PC in the last few months?

After being looking to upgrade my rather old I7-4790k with a Ryzen 5900x, I finally got impatient and ordered a 5800x instead... Can't wait to receive it

Just upgraded

Now I will wait for my friend's dedicated Valheim server to be updated to see the improvement in our base... if I can actually move, then it is an improvement
slaapliedje Apr 23, 2021
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0And by Functional, i mean performant to the task(s) you require it to to do.

Yeah, I need an AMD GPU that can run CP2077 with enough framerate to utilize 2560x1440 144 Hz adaptive sync display efficiently. Such kind of GPUs are non existent. I don't count ebay and etc. - that's just scalpers.
Even the retail stores are being forced to sell at insane prices. Look at System76's prices for building out the Thelios. Like adding a 3090 is an extra 3k or something, when the card's MSRP is supposed to be 1500~.

I've given up for now, and just play my Commodore 64. :P
Koopacabras Apr 24, 2021
Just received my new 27inch monitor!! yeah baby I'm on 1440p now 😎😎
It's 60hz, but I'm gladly impressed with the quality of it ... it has a sturdy metal stand, and very heavy, (all of it up to where it clamps the panel) so it doesn't swing around at all, rest of it is plastic but with a very nice metalic colour. Also the stand rotates in all directions.
Just tried Valheim and at very high settings it can barely do around 50fps at 1440p, so buying a 144hz was not worth it, imho (I have 5600xt gpu), besides I'm not into competitive FPS.

I leave a link to where a bought it, in case someone from Argentina is reading this and is interested, good seller, +rep.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 24 April 2021 at 9:17 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.